1Password for Safari asking for password every time on iOS 16.1 or later

Options

Comments

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P is this ever going to get fixed? The timer is still not working and having to enter password all the time.

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member
    Options

The issue went away for a bit after following the delete and reinstall procedure but it’s back to its old ways again.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@AMonitorDarkly I agree. It’s pretty sad that support doesn’t even follow up.

@Dave_1P @Ben @GreyM1P @Jeff Shiner

Anyone have any feedback when this months long issue will get some real attention and get fixed?

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hello everyone. Our developers are still investigating the issue. The team understands how important biometric unlock is and are continuing to look into this. For the moment, if the issue does reoccur please try the steps mentioned previously in the thread:

1. Fully close Safari on iOS
    2. Open and unlock the main 1Password app from your home screen.
    3. Manually lock the app by tapping on the icon in the top left corner of the Home screen and then tap Lock.
    4. Unlock the main 1Password 8 app using your account password (not Face ID).
    5. Open Safari and try to unlock the 1Password extension using Face ID.

If these steps don't work, or if you've tried the steps previously and the issue came back, then we'd like to gather more information about the situation on your iOS device to add to the internal work item for the issue:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

ref: dev/core/core#18709

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I have require password set for 2 weeks on both my phone and iPad. They were both required today but keychain fills them in so even on the 2 week setting I don’t actually have to manually enter my password into the app or Safari extension. Other than the every 2 weeks Face ID has worked perfectly. I was skeptical and hesitated installing version 8 for quite a while but so far I’ve been very pleased.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P it’s not just the biometrics. The timer is also still broken.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P it’s not just the biometrics. The timer is also still broken.

• @more_cowbell

If reinstalling the app on your iOS device didn't resolve the issue (even temporarily) then it's possible that you're running into a different issue than the rest of the users in this thread. If you can, please send in a diagnostics report using the instructions that I posted above so that the team can investigate further.

@pappjo

I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying 1Password. 😊

In general, I don't recommend saving your 1Password account password anywhere (including the Keychain). Your account password should be the one password that you memorize and don't save anywhere else (aside from your Emergency Kit.

-Dave

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P reinstalling was a short lived temporary fix me. I have not continued to repeatedly reinstall.

• Geezer
    Geezer
    Community Member
    Options

This topic is discussing both biometric and password entry issues so I’m a bit confused. Maybe they’re related at a lower level but thought I’d describe my experience so I can help with a diagnostic report if warranted. I’m using a new iPad bought a few weeks before Christmas. The first iPadOS version installed was v16.1.1.

• Once logged into the 1Password app I stayed logged in for the set time or the app is closed.
    • In Safari I must enter a password for every website.

I’ve reinstalled the app but that didn’t help, even temporarily. Thanks for any guidance on this.

1Password 8.9.7
    IPad Pro, IPadOS 16.2

• Geezer
    Geezer
    Community Member
    Options

Updating my post to say that I use password entry only - no biometrics. Also, I get exact same behavior on iOS.

• entropicCoffee
    entropicCoffee
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 8.9.7
    iOS 16.2

FaceID allows me to log into the app. The iOS extension requires me to manually type in the password EVERY SINGLE TIME i want to use the extension. It's been like this for months. I'm fed up.

I'm gonna try setting the "reauthorize" to 1 week (I have it set to 2 weeks like most here have reported) and see if that helps, but having said that....

1) Developers, you need to fix this now. It's been months, this is getting ridiculous. We're paying monthly perpetually for an app to make password managing and autofilling easier, but as of now Apple Keychain works better in Safari than your extension.

2) Whatever happened to FaceID inside the extension? It existed for a short while and then it dissappeared. I want it back, I don't care if I have to Authorize for every website as long as I can use FaceID, but manually typing my long random character password every time. Jesus christ...

3) Also, maybe allow us to set "never" under reauthorize extension. 1 week and 2 weeks (if it'll ever work again) is too short of a time. I don't care about the security issues I'm exposing myself to. No one has access to my phone but me, and im not a person of hacking interest.

• jtice1
    jtice1
    Community Member
    Options

Yea, I’m all out of patience. 4-5 months is too long; it’s not a minor inconvenience. Either they don’t have the ability, or they’re not making it a priority. And meanwhile we’re paying subscription fees! I’m going to take a Saturday and migrate everything back to keychain and see how that goes for awhile. From the user’s perspective it just needs to work, or we need a temporary fix that makes it usable until the solution is found. None of this is happening.

• entropicCoffee
    entropicCoffee
    Community Member
    Options

Changing the "reauthorize" to 1 week didn't make any difference. The second Safari quits or gets "paused" by iOS in the background, 1P extensions wants me to type in the password again.

The extensions is more or less useless at this point. At least the system wide "autofill" integrated with 1Password autofill the passwords, but the extension is just locked most of the time.

Unacceptable by the dev team to allow this to sit unfixed for 4-5 months like this.

• damonbonesi
    damonbonesi
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like Face recognition is broken again on iOS 16.3 and 1Password 8.9.7 ... Face ID doesn't work in Safari. It is correct or I'm the only one with the issue?

• glinden
    glinden
    Community Member
    Options

I've just moved to 1Password (paid, Family license) because of its cross-platform capabilities. Now I've discovered that apparently I need to authenticate each time I want to do a password fill, requiring me to sign in with my 1P master password each time... to then enter my site password.

This has apparently been a known issue:

https://1password.community/discussion/133339/safari-extension-started-asking-for-password-for-every-auto-fill-solved/p9

https://1password.community/discussion/135995/why-do-i-have-to-use-touchid-every-time-i-autofill-in-safari

When these threads were closed (in December 2022?), it appears that the solution offered was to simply use Touch ID, a biometric use of my fingerprint.

I'm not willing to offer up my biometric information simply because 1P doesn't support iOS as it had. Biometrics aren't a requirement for other platforms and it doesn't appear it was a requirement before iOS 16.x. I can only conclude that 1P was not prepared for what 16.x required.

Because I haven't seen anything else published on this topic since these threads were closed out, I have to ask again (before I switch away from 1Password and just eat all the time I've spent migrating):

1) Is there still no ability to use 1Password in a reasonable way that doesn't require me to a) use biometrics or b) sign in with my 1P master password? If there is... what is it? Maybe I missed it.

2) If not, are there any plans to address this issue? By when?

I've seen some Community Members suggesting that they are uninstalling 1P8 and downgrading to 1P7. I don't want to do that, but...

I want 1P to work. I like its design point and history. It looks like it was a great product until last fall. But this is an egregious error if it's not resolved.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 16.2
    Browser:_ Safari

• Sauron
    Sauron
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I use this thread for my issue because it's almost similar. In 1Password 7 I never needed to type in my password for using the Safari extension. Now I have to type it in every time. I configured it to not annoy me for 2 weeks, it doesn't help, FaceID just isn't an option.

First, why it's not working? And second, why two weeks only (if it would work)? In the 7er version it was perfect, why the change?

• DinoTimHortons
    DinoTimHortons
    Community Member
    Options

I’m having the same issue yet again. I have to re-install the app on either my iPhone & iPad each time. Latest public release cycle of each iOS version, app & devices.

Something’s broken here. Safari keeps asking me for my password every time after a week or two & I happen to restart the device it triggers the issue respectively on one of my devices. (Reauth is set to 2 Weeks). I can’t keep entering my Master password each time when the biometrics doesn’t want to show-up, it’s a pain.

Either fix this or give us, the end-users, the ability to “move” to iCloud Keychain. Currently, only the opposite exists. How many times do we need to keep sending diagnostics. To what end?

• cantchooseaname
    cantchooseaname
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. The iOS extension keeps locking itself and completely ignores the fact that I have it set to not lock for two weeks. This has been going on for months and is apparently not being addressed by the company. We switched over to 1Password recently and this is a total waste.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P even in the latest test flight the safari extension keeps locking itself. It would be nice to start seeing some action on this front. It’s not been an issue for several months!

• ikjadoon
    ikjadoon
    Community Member
    Options

I never had this issue until I closed 1Password and restarted my phone (following these troubleshooting steps for a separate bug).

Now, I've needed to re-enter my Account Password 3x while filling out Safari's autofill. I really hope this bug is looked at with the upcoming updates; it's really inconvenient, unfortunately.

We're asked to set long passwords and then get smacked with manual entry multiple times per day. :(

• lyndadiane
    lyndadiane
    Community Member
    Options

It works now, started 2 days ago; didn't seem to be coordinated with any updates, but, hey, who cares! The photo ID works, no more passwords. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.