Categories persistent even when empty

keinanesq
keinanesq
Community Member

While cleaning up some entries in some vaults, I removed (deleted) some non-login items (e.g., bank accounts, passports, etc.). However, after removing all entries within a category (meaning no items remain), the category is not actually removed from the sidebar list on the Windows client. Thus, I currently have several categories of items on the sidebar that are completely empty when those categories should simply be removed.

Fully deleting the items (removing them from the trash) doesn't clear the categories from the sidebar either. Interestingly, the other clients (Chrome & Edge extensions and the online version) exhibit the correct behavior. Thus, after removing all items from a category, the category is removed from the sidebars, leaving only the categories of the entries that remain in a vault.

This certainly isn't a big deal, but at least wanted to bring it to folks' attention as others may experience it and may be a quick fix.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.9.10 (80910043)
Extension Version: Version 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Chrome/Edge

Comments

• Hi there @keinanesq

Thanks for reporting this to us. We have had some customers mention this is happening to them, and we have an investigation going on with the development team to work out the cause. I've added this thread to that investigation for their reference. Sorry for the inconvenience it's caused. Hopefully we'll be able to get that fixed in the near future. :)

— Grey

ref: dev/core/core#13984

• IR69
    IR69
    Community Member

I have exactly the same problem with an empty Rewards category. I originally added a few rewards items but later deleted them. As I know 1Password keeps all deleted items on the client, not just those deleted in the last 30 days, I wonder if your logic is not ignoring these deleted items and therefore thinks an item exists in this category. Also I note when I login to 1password.com it correctly does not show this empty category so it's logic is good.

PS This is the second time I have written this post. The first time I wasn't logged in but was allowed to enter the text and instead of a "Post Comment" button I only had a "Comment As" button. I clicked this, signed in when prompted, and it dumped my comment. Bs. Fix this pls and the iPad app that forces you to login with every single interaction as is still not fixed. Annoying af. Minor rant over. Sry but had to be said. :)

• ag_mike_d
    edited February 2023

Hello @IR69,

Thanks for your message and reporting this behaviour. Sorry for the troubles. I've included your feedback in the issue Grey mentioned that we have filed internally. We're looking into making improvements here.

With regard to the issue you experienced when attempting to first post this comment before you were signed in, that original comment should have been saved as a draft. Can you confirm that no saved drafts appeared under this heading at the top of the 1Password Support Community page?

• IR69
    IR69
    Community Member

Hi @ag_mike_d,

Thanks for including my feedback - hope it helps.
    Also I checked Drafts and nothing is listed but as I posted my comment a few days ago maybe it was automatically deleted???

• Hello again @IR69,

You're most welcome, happy to help! 😊

I've personally seen this issue one other time and since it was a few days after that could be the case. If this happens again in the future, you can immediately check the drafts here, https://1password.community/drafts and please let us know if the draft does not appear so we can investigate further. Thanks!

• calledjustin
    calledjustin
    Community Member

I had the same problem and found a way around it.
    Signed out, restarted the app, signed back in and the empty categories were gone :)

• ag_mike_d
    edited February 2023

Hello @calledjustin,

Thanks for reporting that you experienced this same issue and that signing out and back in to the app helped. I've included your report for the team.

@IR69 and @keinanesq - Could you give this workaround a try and let us know if signing out and back into 1Password helps?

• keinanesq
    keinanesq
    Community Member

Hi @ag_mike_d,

Thanks for following up here, and apologies for the delayed response. I just tried the workaround as @calledjustin outlined and it did indeed work. All unused categories were removed from the sidebar.

As this thread noted previously, the other clients (web and browser extensions) already exhibited the correct behavior w/o re-signing in, so seems to be limited to Windows client (don't know about Mac, etc.). Hopefully there can be a fix soon. Thanks!

• Hi @keinanesq, thanks for confirming that this workaround helped you as well 😄 I've added this information to the issue on file.

• IR69
    IR69
    Community Member

Hi @ag_mike_d,

Unfortunately I have replaced my PC since my last post so I am unable to test signing out and back in but I can confirm that my new PC does not show the empty Rewards category.

P.S. The Comment As button, the one that shows instead of Post Comment when you're not signed in, does NOT post or save your comment to drafts after you successfully sign in. It just deletes it. Annoying little bug there.

• Hi @IR69, thanks for the update. It's good to hear you're not seeing the empty Rewards category on your new PC.

One of my colleagues has been able to reproduce the issue you're seeing with the Comment As... button, where the comment isn't posted or saved to drafts after signing in. I've filed an issue for this to be investigated further. Thanks for reporting this to us 😄

This discussion has been closed.