Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• BryanS
    BryanS
    Community Member

Thanks @PeterG_1P (and all 1P folks involved), looking forward to the update!

• BryanS
    BryanS
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

Also @PeterG_1P - Can you comment on the general timeline of the production release of the update? I see that the 10/28 Testflight build includes:

You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari after updating to iOS 16.1 or later. #17988

If the update is literally around the corner, 1 - 2 weeks, I'll skip the beta. Given that there's a lot bottled into that update, I could see it taking longer however, and if the release is further out, I would likely save my thumbs the additional travel take the beta plunge.

Thanks again.

• nhoizey
    nhoizey
    Community Member

I also have the issue discussed in this thread: Face ID fails unlocking the app and I have to enter my passcode manually every time. Very annoying. Crossing fingers for the “major update to 1Password which is arriving soon”…

• kurious
    kurious
    Community Member

I started using my iPad mini more often. When the update is done that's when it's done. I've unsubscribed from this topic.

We've been patient this long. Let's be patient a little longer. It's not the fault of the 1Password team. When Apple makes updates, some things stop working correctly and we work through them.

• gkgriffith
    gkgriffith
    Community Member

I'd had an issue previously with Face ID not working to unlock 1Password with iOS devices, but after an update it seemed to work fine. Now, Face ID does not work on either my iPad or my iPhone to unlock 1P and I have to type my 1P password each time to use 1P.

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 16.3
    Browser:_ Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Face ID is not working for 1Password on my iPad

• Dave_1P
    edited February 2023

@gkgriffith

I'm sorry that Face ID isn't working to unlock 1Password on both your iPad or iPhone. Our developers have a fix for the issue and we plan to release it as soon as possible. My colleague Peter provided some more information here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/674346/#Comment_674346

-Dave

• jbretka
    jbretka
    Community Member

I have had the issue described on 1pwd 8 shortly after I purchased. Have seen the posts for over a month ( many have had the issue much longer) that an update is coming soon - this is unacceptable for a mobile app developer to allow a user experience issue of this magnitude go unresolved for this long. This is clearly a major issue that 1PWD either cannot resolve or had to make such a significant change to fix it required a long turn around to fully test. Regardless - the TBD on the time frame means they may not have a fix identified or issues may yet persist / they cannot release / are not confident on release timeframe. There are other solutions on the market - I can not type my master pw multiple times a day for another day. Moving on.

• Agracuta
    Agracuta
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

just adding that i am still having the exact same issue, even after updating my iOS to 16.3!

1Password 8, on an iPhone 11 mini, 16.3 iOS, and this started happening after a phone reset as well.

Nothing i have tried has fixed it. (reinstalled 1password, reset my faceid etc) face id is fine on all other apps.

Glad to hear that a fix is worked on and coming. Hopefully it releases soon. Ill keep my eye out for it, and report back to help debug.

Besides this one issue, 1Password has been fantastic for me.

• mmasm
    mmasm
    Community Member

I upgraded to iOS 16.3 and had to reset all my settings to reset my backup password for encryption. Before doing this FaceID worked without issues and with multiple FaceIDs. Now FaceID won’t work even after reinstalling the app and reenabling FaceID, and even after a hard reset of the phone. I also disabled FaceID in settings for this app and in the app, reset FaceID, and reenabled everything again with the same results

• YourNameHereX
    YourNameHereX
    Community Member

I came back today to see if there are any updates. It has been a long 13 days with this issue. I saw that @lurknomo had posted a possible fix for the issue. I went step by step, but only found out that when I turned FaceID off within 1P, the switch stayed off, and there is no way to click it back on. No biggie, because FaceID hadn't been working anyway.
    Please do fix this issue, because I cringe whenever I need to enter a password on my iPad Pro, which is more often then I had taken note of prior to this horrible issue happening.

• trainguyjohnson
    trainguyjohnson
    Community Member

Thanks @PeterG_1P for the update. Since it’s been another week, any update on timeline for this release?

Also, I’ve noticed that not only has Face ID been broken by this bug, but AutoFill suggestions in the keyboard on iOS no longer seems to work either. Does this update fix that?

• ralvarado
    ralvarado
    Community Member

Same issue here! please help

• alwducky79
    alwducky79
    Community Member

Same issue here. Had to reset settings on iPhone because I no longer knew the encrypted iOS backup for Mac. Only way to reset that backup password was to do an iPhone "All Settings" reset, but then that somehow broke 1Password 8's ability to use Face ID. I did restore my iPhone from iCloud and got 1Password 8's Face ID working again, but then it relocked up my encrypted backup on the Mac again with the password I don't know.

So I'm in an endless loop of which thing I want broken. I'm hoping 1Password finds a fix for this. The 1Password app is unusable on the iPhone without Face ID authentication! Like others, I have tried to reset everything.

The Apple App Store allowed me to still download 1Password 7, and now my Face ID works just fine again. I guess until there is a true patch for 1Password 8, I won't be using that version of the app.

• Frank_Louwers
    Frank_Louwers
    Community Member

Same issue here :( Any ETA for the bug-fix version?

• BryanS
    BryanS
    Community Member

@YourNameHereX - Settings -> Face ID & Passcode -> Select "Other Apps" from the USE FACE ID FOR: section. 1Password is likely the top entry on the Other Apps page. See if that isn't flagged off.

If so, turn it on, to enable Face ID. Now when you open 1Password and log in, you should see Face ID not locked out in settings. I'm pretty confident that this won't fix the issues with Face ID working but 1P not unlocking, but you may need this step for the fix to work for you, when it comes out anyway. (also doesn't hurt to try. ;) Good Luck!

• meancody
    meancody
    Community Member

I’ve been unable to use FaceID for the past 3 months. How can I resolve this?

iOS: 16.2
    1Password: 8.9.7

This discussion has been closed.