Autofill does not work for passwords on NYTimes.com

Netpog
Netpog
Community Member

The NYTimes.com website asks for the password on a 2nd screen, after getting the username. 1Password does not seem to recognize the password request, and thus does not suggest any entries. Nor does the 1Password icon appear, as it does on other websites, above the keyboard (on the right edge).

I'm aware that I can use copy/paste or drag/drop. Those work-arounds are not only inconvenient, but also less secure: when (properly-working) autofill refuses to populate a site, it can be a warning that you're on a phishing page.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 13
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• bartek1password
    bartek1password
    Community Member

Try this, as posted by 1P employee in another thread:

1. Open the 1Password 8 for Android app
    2. Tap the account/collection icon in the top right.
    3. Tap Settings > Autofill
    4. Tap Display autofill prompts, then tap Below the fields they relate to
  • ag_audrey
    edited February 2023

Hey @Netpog, thanks so much for reaching out to us here!

I've tested the nytimes.com site in Chrome and confirm I see the same behaviour that you've described. I found that I could fill by changing the Autofill setting mentioned above. After changing the setting, are you able to fill in nytimes.com as well? Otherwise, were you using a different browser?

Thanks for providing the same workaround, @bartek1password!

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_audrey, yes, that workaround does work for me. EXCEPT that I must select my choice of login for both username and password.

(Having to make this selection twice is annoying, because the Android app completely ignores Favorites when suggesting logins, a BUG that has persisted through all its versions. It'd be so much easier if the Favorite login appeared first, as it does on desktop browsers, so that I don't need to scroll past the other half-dozen, EVERY single time I login to such a site.)

Please confirm that your suggestion was intended as a workaround to an acknowledged BUG in the Android app. I prefer having the suggestions above the keyboard, and that setting USED TO WORK for two-page logins such as the NYTimes.com Will this be fixed? Has it even been recorded as a bug?

Thanks again for your responsiveness to this, and for the workaround.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Sorry, I, too, should've acknowledged @bartek1password, and with gratitude for that workaround.

Of course, I'd rather see the bug fixed, because this used to work. And I'd like to avoid re-selecting the login item for two-page sign-ins. But at least I'm not having to copy/paste my passwords, so: thanks!

• Hey @Netpog, to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, are you seeing multiple Logins, even those not associated with nytimes.com, in your Autofill suggestions such that you must find and select the correct New York Times Login? If so, you're seeing this behaviour across the board in all sites in Chrome?

I've created an account and test Login for nytimes.com, and this is the flow I follow to sign in:
    1. Navigate to the sign-in page for the nytimes.com site in Chrome.
    2. Autofill prompt includes a single New York Times Login as a suggestion for the email field. Tap on it.
    3. Unlock 1Password. Email fills.
    4. Tap Continue.
    5. Autofill prompt includes the same Login as a suggestion for the password field. Tap on it, and the password immediately fills.
    6. Tap Log In.

Do you follow the same set of steps? If not, could you provide a step-by-step flow for me to understand better?

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Sorry, @ag_audrey; I wasn't clear! I'm seeing (as is correct & expected) only the appropriate logins. My problem is that I must select the login I want on BOTH the "username" page and the "password" page, on sites (such as NYTimes.com) with two-page authentication, even when using your workaround.

That's a MINOR BUG.

The MAJOR BUG is the one for which you gave me the workaround: when I select "show passwords above keyboard" there were no logins suggested AT ALL (at least not on the password page).

Again, I can workaround that bug, by selecting the other password-suggestion modality. But I wanted to confirm that y'all AGREED that this was a bug, and that it was being worked on.

I misled you because I confusingly and needlessly mentioned another problem with 1Password Android, one that's only tangentially relevant to this thread.

(Specifically: I mentioned the aggravating fact that favorites are not suggested first. Thus, when I have several logins for a site with two-page authentication, I must TWICE scroll tediously through the logins that I seldom use. That makes the need to RESELECT the desired login much more annoying. It's also an example of how the chronic inconsistency between your various platforms can cause frustration.)

• Hey @Netpog, I sincerely appreciate the clarification and details!

My problem is that I must select the login I want on BOTH the "username" page and the "password" page, on sites (such as NYTimes.com) with two-page authentication, even when using your workaround.

Apologies for the confusion. This is actually expected behaviour, as 1Password will never automatically fill in your credentials for you without your intervention. If a Login is split on two pages, 1Password will require your confirmation for both the username and password before filling. You can read more in this blog post from our Security team: https://blog.1password.com/1password-keeps-you-safe-by-keeping-you-in-the-loop/

The MAJOR BUG is the one for which you gave me the workaround: when I select "show passwords above keyboard" there were no logins suggested AT ALL (at least not on the password page). Again, I can workaround that bug, by selecting the other password-suggestion modality. But I wanted to confirm that y'all AGREED that this was a bug, and that it was being worked on.

Let me clarify that there are a few factors that can complicate the Autofill process on 1Password for Android. When Autofill doesn't work as expected, it can be due to how a browser or app is developed, due to their specific sign-in page and how it's coded, due to the Autofill service itself not detecting the fillable fields and letting us know, or due to us doing something incorrectly. This is why you may see different behaviours and issues in different apps and sites. When issues arise, we test them out and report them to our developers, so they can further investigate. That's why we really appreciate when you bring these filling issues to our attention.

I would not label this as a bug per se, but definitely a filling inconsistency that should be looked into. I have passed this along to our development team.

I mentioned the aggravating fact that favorites are not suggested first. Thus, when I have several logins for a site with two-page authentication, I must TWICE scroll tediously through the logins that I seldom use. That makes the need to RESELECT the desired login much more annoying. It's also an example of how the chronic inconsistency between your various platforms can cause frustration.

I definitely understand your frustration, and I for one would love this feature myself in 1Password for Android! I've submitted a request to our product team for consideration.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

ref: PB-30799060

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

@ag_audrey, I do appreciate the importance of the "keeping you in the loop" concept. But please note that 1Password for Windows **does **autofill the password, when it appears on a second page, after I have selected a login for the username. For example, at https://accounts.google.com

That behavior seems consistent with the blog post you shared, as there is no password-filling until after I've selected a login.

By contrast, the mobile app demands that I select a login twice. If I have a dozen choices, I must scroll to the same login on both the username and password pages.

PS re the Android Chrome bug:
    I assert that this is a bug, because we're dealing with the most-popular browser on Android. And because this is a new behavior. And because your set-up process does not help a user avoid this shortcoming.

Note that 1Pwd has no problem detecting the username, but does not even detect the password field on the next screen.

• Hi @Netpog, thanks for following up with us.

As you mentioned, after you've approved 1Password in the browser to fill on the first sign in page, it can fill on the second as you've taken action to grant approval. At the moment this isn't possible with 1Password for Android's Autofill. I'm not sure if that's something we could add in the future or a limitation of the Autofill service on Android devices. Regardless I'd be happy to share your feedback with the team for further review.

In regards to filling suggestions not appearing in some fields, what's happening in most of these cases is that the keyboard is giving priority to the number strip over the suggestion strip. The development team has found a way to work around this so we should hopefully be seeing some improved behavior in the not-so-distant future.

Thanks again!

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Good to hear, @ag_timothy, that this is being addressed.

In case it's helpful to your debugging, note that I have always enabled the number strip in the keyboard, and have been using the GBoard keyboard for a long time, whereas this problem is relatively new. Just now I tried disabling the number row, (after which Gboard, wierdly, shows a number strip anyway; but now it looks different). Doing so did not change 1Password's behavior: on the password page it fails to suggest anything unless I select "Display...below the fields", whereas it does suggest logins on the username page.

• Hi @Netpog, thanks for following up and sharing those details. Good news! A fix for the issue I mentioned was included with last weeks beta and should be included with the next production release as well. If you'd like to check out the beta, you can find steps to update in this guide:

After updating you may need to reset "Show filling suggestions" from Settings > Autofill by turning the setting off then on again.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_timothy, I'd noticed that! (Because I was already on the Beta channel, now with 8.10.1) Specifically, I was pleased to see 1Password successfully detecting the password page.

Today I gave it some testing. (After toggling "Show...Suggestions", as you suggested.)

With "Display Autofill: below fields":
    Suggestions appear, as expected, on both the username & password pages.
    (Better if the login I selected for username were remembered for the password, but I'm guessing Android is now making that difficult.)

With "Display Autofill: above keyboard":
    Here, I saw inconsistent behavior:

• Username page: suggestions shown above keyboard, as expected.
    • Password page: no suggestions at all. Just an "open 1Password" bubble above the keyboard. Which does lead to a list of suggestions, after I tap it.

Unrelated:
    Was there already the ability to select the collection to be used for suggestions? It was nice to discover that feature, either way.

• Hi @Netpog, thanks for your reply.

Better if the login I selected for username were remembered for the password, but I'm guessing Android is now making that difficult.

To my knowledge, that is correct and it is a limitation of the filling service. That being said, automatically filling on the second page as you might see with 1Password in the Browser is definitely something we'd like to add in the future if there is support for it.

With "Display Autofill: above keyboard": Here, I saw inconsistent behavior:

Just to confirm, if you reset "Show filling suggestions" by turning it off and on do you still only see "Open 1Password" on the password page? If so could you share the website and browser in question?

Was there already the ability to select the collection to be used for suggestions?

As far as I remember this has been included since the launch of 1Password 8 or perhaps shortly there after.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Hi, @ag_timothy, I finally remembered to come back here, and I just tested this out, as you requested.

With "Display Autofill: above keyboard": Here, I saw inconsistent behavior:

Just to confirm, if you reset "Show filling suggestions" by turning it off and on do you still only see "Open 1Password" on the password page? If so could you share the website and browser in question?

Yes, that's exactly it. To confirm: this is only for "above keyboard", and only for the password page. And, yes, this is after toggling "show suggestions", and restarting 1Password, and toggling again.

Browser: I'm using Chrome, fully updated (to 111.0.5563.116), on fully-updated Android 13, on a Pixel 7
    Website: https://NYTimes.com (Want me test a different site?)
    This is reliably the behavior in both regular and private tabs.

I'm using 1Password v. 8.10.3-16.BETA

• Hi @Netpog, thanks for following up with me.

I did some testing with the New York Times website and was suggested my test item for both the email and password fields. You have previously mentioned that the New York Times website asks for the password on a separate screen. For me I enter an email address, tap continue then the password field appears with my email grayed out above. Do you have the same sign in flow?

I'd also like to ask you to try creating a new test item to check if the same issue occurs. In the test item use a made up email such as email@email.com, any password and add https://NYTimes.com to the website field. Is this item suggested for both the email and password fields on the New York times?

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.