how do i get 1password x sub-domain matching to select the right login?

1235»

Comments

• pgregg
    pgregg
    Community Member

Recent convert from Lastpass here.
    I too would like this feature - I installed the Firefox beta 2.7.0 and this setting appears to no longer be there.
    Win11 app is: 1Password for Windows 8.9.14 (80914009)

I did select the 'Beta Release Channel' in the app, but seems I'm up to date and remain on the Production version.

I tried disconnecting the app from the browser to see if editing in browser would expose the issue - but that sends me to my.1password.com to edit there - no option visible as described above.

• Hey, @pgregg. The latest beta version should be 8.10.0-48, where you should see those Autofill options when editing an item. Do you have that beta version now, or are you still on a Production build?

• pgregg
    pgregg
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

Just wanted to followup. App updated to the Beta and I do now see this option. It isn't as I expected, but actually, I do like how it is implemented.

I can see how this has its uses, however as an added suggestion (because right now, I'm in the middle of working my way through about 80 passwords that I now need to set this on, when in LastPass, I could do it in one step)...
    Either: a) Allow the setting to be done on multiple passwords at once, e.g. enter subdomain into search box and use CTRL-Enter to list all these. Then from here, allow me to select all (logins, because some notes may come up), global edit the setting and save;
    or b) Allow adding specific subdomains, which results in only exact matches working for that subdomain (this would let me achieve my goal with 6 entries, instead of 80)

Thanks tho, this makes the whole thing so much easier so I do appreciate the new functionality.

Edit: On https://1password.community/discussion/comment/672442/#Comment_672442 from Edwinem
    Similar to my (b) suggestion - those of us who (need|would greatly benefit from) this are likely only going to need it for a relatively small number of domains/subdomains - and when we do, it'd generally some kind of pattern matching.
    In my case: Sub-Domain only matching for: *.domain.com
    In Edwinem's case: Sub-Domain* only matching for: example.com/*/loginpage

• pgregg
    pgregg
    Community Member

Somehow my comment got deleted, reposting.

Just wanted to followup. App updated to the Beta and I do now see this option. It isn't as I expected, but actually, I do like how it is implemented.

I can see how this has its uses, however as an added suggestion (because right now, I'm in the middle of working my way through about 80 passwords that I now need to set this on, when in LastPass, I could do it in one step)...
    Either: a) Allow the setting to be done on multiple passwords at once, e.g. enter subdomain into search box and use CTRL-Enter to list all these. Then from here, allow me to select all (logins, because some notes may come up), global edit the setting and save;
    or b) Allow adding specific subdomains, which results in only exact matches working for that subdomain (this would let me achieve my goal with 6 entries, instead of 80)

Thanks tho, this makes the whole thing so much easier so I do appreciate the new functionality.

Edit: On https://1password.community/discussion/comment/672442/#Comment_672442 from Edwinem
    Similar to my (b) suggestion - those of us who (need|would greatly benefit from) this are likely only going to need it for a relatively small number of domains/subdomains - and when we do, it'd generally some kind of pattern matching.
    In my case: Sub-Domain only matching for: *.domain.com
    In Edwinem's case: Sub-Domain* only matching for: example.com/*/loginpage

* Sub-Domain may be the wrong name here, more of a pattern/regex matching on the website value.... To use full PCRE regex:
    ^https://[a-z0-9]{3}.domain.com/
    ^https://domain.com/\w+/loginpage

• alexf
    alexf
    Community Member

+1. Sorry if it's been said before, but this is a long thread... but I'd be happy if there was an optional setting (off by default) to restrict domain matching to the FQDN. That way those of use who want this feature can turn it on, but it won't affect the default behavior y'all are set on.

In my use-case, I have a reverse-proxy handling access to several apps, and they all share the same domain, separated by sub-subdomains. (appName.proxy.mydomain.tld). The longer the list of app logins grows, the bigger the PITA when the correct option isn't first.

• myaffee
    myaffee
    Community Member

Please, please add this feature! If there is a use case that you feel is important to keep the broader match, then make it a preference setting called "match subdomain" and people can turn it on or off. We REALLY need it to match the subdomain - favorites or the default sorting don't work for our use-case.

• GDZ
    GDZ
    Community Member

Maybe you consider (like LastPass does) to define tld.domain aliases right from the start of the 'domain/subdomain' match feature.
    E.g. amazon.com.uk is the same as amazon.de and amazon.com..

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

+1 for a setting to allow the default for autofill behavior to be changed.

• sachi
    sachi
    Community Member

+1 for this feature. We have a number of apps self-hosted on different subdomains, and SSO isn't always an option for various reasons. It would definitely improve the user experience if 1Password recognized that the subdomains were different log-ons.

• KiwiDE
    KiwiDE
    Community Member

+1 for a global setting of "subdomaim" filtering behavior, not only for single passwort-entry.

• twentyzen
    twentyzen
    Community Member

Whats the issue with introducing subdomain matching... this is in discussion for years by so many people. Its also the most annoying issue for our team handling logins around a TLD with several subdomains. We want 1password to match the subdomain, as a.TLD.com is definitely something else than TLD.com and especially as b.TLD.com...

This could really become a deal breaker in the future for us using 1password.

• Edwinem
    Edwinem
    Community Member

@steph.giles @Jack.P_1P Any update on this functionality for the standalone browser extension?

• kuya1284
    kuya1284
    Community Member

I'm happy that this made it to Prod; however, it doesn't seem to be working as expected. I've gone and manually edited all my subdomains, changing the Autofill Behavior to Only fill on this exact domain. Regardless of the change, when I go to my site, all subdomains still appear in the Suggestions list. I was expecting to only see the one subdomain on that list.

I've tried restarting my browser, closing the 1Password desktop app, etc. Do I need to switch to the Beta channel? It seems like this should work while pointing to the Prod channel since the feature appears to be available and ready for use.

• iBruno
    iBruno
    Community Member
    edited June 2023

June 2023 and still not subdomain filtering working on extensions? 😳

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited June 2023

@iBruno Subdomain filtering working for me on Chrome, Edge, Safari and Firefox on my Mac. Granted, you have to manually set up each site, but it seems to work.

I'm running 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007041).

• iBruno
    iBruno
    Community Member

@netnothing do I need to activate any configuration for it to activate? I'm using the same version of 1P as you.

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited June 2023

@iBruno You need to edit each entry and change the autofill behavior.

So for example if you have 4 logins across 4 different subdomains, you have to edit each one and choose:

Only fill on this exact domain

• iBruno
    iBruno
    Community Member
    edited June 2023

Thank you @netnothing !!!

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

@iBruno You are welcome!! I wish they would allow the global setting to be Only fill, but this is better than nothing.

• iBruno
    iBruno
    Community Member

@netnothing Yes, but for now, at least we can change the logins for the websites we use the most across different subdomains.

• deanoakley
    deanoakley
    Community Member

Good to see this finally updated.

But only a global setting is helpful for us at this point. We don't want to go through thousands of existing entries and update them.

• zkhcohen
    zkhcohen
    Community Member

"Open and Fill" should respect these settings...

In other words, if I open subdomain "hello.mysite.com" and then search for another credential which shares the domain (ex. "world.mysite.com"), and which restricts it to only autofill on that domain, then the default in the pop-up should be "Open and Fill", not "Autofill".

Correct:

Incorrect:

• sndvietzke
    sndvietzke
    Community Member

Unfortunately this feature doesn't seem to work for development sites on Pantheon such as: https://[devsite].pantheon.io/[login-page]. I have my login URL setup as https://pantheon.io with "fill anywhere on this site" selected. I also tried https://panthone.io/[login-page] with no luck.

• kobs
    kobs
    Community Member
    edited November 2023

Are you serious 1p? This is a issue since years. This is not just something we would like to have. This is a major security flaw by design. 1P will fill out wrong passwords in many login forms and you just leave that like is is??

Every wrong login can be tracked. For example every blog on wordpress.com has a subdomain. This is not a wish - just fix that problem. This is not funny.

And it is not a real solution if you can edit it on every entry by hand. I have almost 3k entries.

[Removed profanity, please remember that this is a family-friendly community -Moderator]

• Pampu
    Pampu
    Community Member

Greetings everyone,

is there an update to this thread by 1Password themself?
    As mentioned many times, I would like to have the choice as user if I want to match only sub-domains or domains.
    It can be still a default behavior to match domains, but let me chose to change this default behavior.
    To change this setting for each password entry, produces confusion during the normal use because it is more or less a hidden option.

Thanks in advance!

• Edwinem
    Edwinem
    Community Member
    edited December 2023

@steph.giles @Jack.P_1P Any update on the much-needed feature to change the default matching behavior? I've changed hundreds of entries by hand for the company I work for, but new ones created by other employees still have the old (default) behavior. The current functionality is not a sufficient solution.

I would even go as far as to say that the "Only fill on this exact domain" should be the Default, out of the box. For my professional and personal use, I have changed all of the login entries to that setting, and have not found a single case of it not matching when it should.
    It certainly would be safer to have to explicitly choose to fill it on more than the exact domain.

• peterforeman
    peterforeman
    Community Member

I converted from 1Password to Bitwarden about a year ago. Bitwarden has many rough edges and 1Password in terms of UX is superior. The wife wants to go back to 1Password because of the UX, but trying 1Password again I immediately am very frustrated about the lack of a good implementation if this feature.

Now I remember the flaws in 1Password again:
    - No 'real' autofill, always have to use a keyboard shortcut (Cmd+) where Bitwarden is able to immediately fill the fields without user interaction
    - The domain matching is very crap, as mentioned in this thread

Unfortunately this means that I am not converting back to 1Password. Simple things like this are not OK, sorry.