Scan QR code - Option gone

Options

I am on the Windows desktop app nightly channel and the most recent update seems to have removed the** Scan QR Code** option on Login items that have a TFA code field.

This was a useful feature, why was it removed?

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.0 (81000042)
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• GreyM1P
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hey there @shhh

The option to scan a QR code is still there when you add a one-time password field:

If you're missing this option, are you able to take a screenshot of where you'd expect to see it?

— Grey

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

Grey - See attached screenshot. Just this morning, I saw that option on the item menu and when the nightly update restarted the app, it went away! Was I imagining it?

Edit: The way I understood that option was it used the TOTP seed to generate the QR code so I could scan it on another device. Am I misunderstanding how this works?

• @shhh

You might be thinking of the "Scan QR Code" button from the item menu in 1Password in the browser, as shown here:

That button will appear only when you're on the website that belongs to the item in question. Try that and let me know how you find it.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

Ah yes, that's what I was referring to. Whew.

I looked at the documentation but I am not sure I understand. When I am on a website that belongs to the item in question and select that option, I get a message No QR code found for 2FA. What is the expected use of this feature?

Thanks

• GreyM1P
    edited February 2023
    Options

@shhh

You'll first need to go to the website's account settings, or profile, or whatever they call it, and turn on two-factor authentication for that account. You'll be shown a QR code on the webpage to set up an authenticator app (1Password in this case). Click the ⋮ button on the item in 1Password in the browser and choose Scan QR Code, and 1Password will scan the QR code on the page automatically, and copy a one-time password, ready for you to paste back into the webpage to confirm it's been set up correctly.

Give it a try with a test item on our test website here: https://fill.dev/form/registration-2fa

1. Create a new Login item for "fill.dev" as the website.
    2. Go to the link shown above.
    3. Open 1Password in the browser and click the ⋮ button on the item > Scan QR Code.
    4. The QR code will be scanned and there will be a new one-time password field on the item.

You won't have anywhere to paste the auto-copied one-time password, but that's expected for this test website. Almost every other website where you set up two-factor authentication will ask you to paste in a one-time password to make sure it's been done successfully.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

Oh wow, I did not realize that the Item > Scan QR code button actually grabs the QR code off of the current page, that's pretty slick. I have always used the iPhone app to scan QR codes. Good to know that 1Password for the browser can also do this.

Thanks!

• @shhh

Yep! It's pretty nifty like that. :)

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

What would be even cooler is if it can save the TOTP seed and use that to re-generate the QR code or show me the alphanumeric 32-bit seed string if I decide to move away from storing in 1Password to a 2FA app like Authy.

Please consider adding this feature. Thanks.

• @shhh

You can copy and paste the seed into the one-time password field and 1Password will generate one-time passwords based on that seed. Then, if you click Edit, you can see the seed in that field.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

Another thing I learned today, good to know that the one-time password field saves the otpauth:// URI, very nice for data portability, appreciate it.

I've been using LastPass for over 10 years and came onboard to 1Password few weeks ago. The more I learn about the service, the more I appreciate it. Keep up the good work!

This discussion has been closed.