Shortcut takes over

makason
makason
Community Member
edited July 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

View Approved Answer

The new version has a keyboard shortcut Command-Shift X to bring up one pass. This is also strikethrough in google docs, which I use all the time. I tried to disable in preferences, but didnʻt find it. I tried to overwrite it but it didnʻt work. Can this be disabled or set back to the one I prefer? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 16

Updated January 16th 2024:

Hi @makason! We are aware that our default Command+Shift+X shortcut to open 1Password in Chrome is also used as a shortcut for strikethrough in Google Docs. We're keeping track of how many users run into this, and I can certainly add your comment here to our internal ticket.

To update (or remove) the shortcut to open 1Password in the browser’s pop-up, you can follow these steps:

Most Browsers:
    1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser’s toolbar.
    2. Click Settings.
    3. Click Appearance & shortcuts.
    4. Open the link titled “...browser's extensions page”.
    5. Look for 1Password and edit the “Activate the extension” shortcut by clicking on the pencil icon beside the current shortcut and then pressing your desired key combination (you can leave it blank if you want to remove the shortcut).

Note: these steps do not currently work for 1Password in Safari.

Firefox:
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser’s toolbar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Look for the Shortcuts heading.
    5. Click the box beside the label "Open with shortcut" and then press your desired key combination (you can remove the shortcut by clicking the (x) in the field).

I hope that helps @makason! Let us know if you have any other questions.

ref: dev/core/core#8796

• Chipito
    Chipito
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Just came here to make this same complaint! I use that shortcut ALL THE TIME in google docs so this is really annoying especially since it wasn't an issue with previous versions of 1password. Can we at least make it customizable (i use safari). The fixes mentioned above do not work. The only thing that does for now is turning off the 1password extension in safari.

• illuminella
    illuminella
    Community Member

ARRGH - your solution does not work! You've really goofed up my editing in G-docs (Safari) with the strike-through option. Wish I had never updated 1Password app!!

• Hi @illuminella:

I've added you to the issue we have tracking this. While I can't promise anything, it's something we're aware of.

Jack

• justaperson
    justaperson
    Community Member

Just wanted to pop in to say that changing the Extensions shortcut settings within Chrome did work for me. (Go to chrome://extensions/shortcuts or follow the 3 steps in the last suggestion from @Joy_1P ).

What threw me off from the solution mentioned above is that I do use the 1password app and have the browser integration on — so that was rather confusing.

• jpnet
    jpnet
    Community Member

I have the same issue: I want to use the strikethrough feature in Google Docs and the instructions above either don't make sense or do not work. tx

• jpnet
    jpnet
    Community Member

That's what I see

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jpnet, the steps above were for 1Password 7, but it looks like you have 1Password 8, which is a bit different. To get things working with a different shortcut, you can make the following update from the 1Password 8 app:

1. Open 1Password 8 > Preferences > General.
    2. Under Keyboard Shortcuts, change the default shortcut for filling from CMD+\ to something else.

Here is a screenshot: https://share.cleanshot.com/vOj8PK

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• jpnet
    jpnet
    Community Member

Thanks for this. It works now.

• On behalf of Joy, you're welcome.

• bsigmon
    bsigmon
    Community Member

This was quite annoying. The workaround needs to be very public with the installation instructions.

• Chipito
    Chipito
    Community Member

This still doesn't work on a mac w/ the safari 1p extension running. Cmd-shift-x opens the 1password extension still and won't do strikethrough in google docs.

• makason
    makason
    Community Member

Just wanted to shout out thanks again for the variety of solutions proposed. In 2022, I fixed the issue using Mac preferences. The problem just started to reoccur again a couple weeks ago. Nothing changed on the mac side, so changed the 'open' preference in the browser app preferences to something else and now my strike through works again.

• Chipito
    Chipito
    Community Member

I don't understand...this doesn't work with safari still as far as I can tell. Does it? If so please tell me how.

• mranellone
    mranellone
    Community Member

+1, I'm a professional writer working almost exclusively in google docs. This is so disruptive to my workflow that I would happily migrate to an entirely different password manager or disable the browser extension if my IT team would let me. Please at least give me the option to customize the shortcut on the 1P side.

• Thank you folks. I've passed on your thoughts to the team.

• saro
    saro
    Community Member

Changing the Keyboard shortcut for the browser extension works for a period of time and then eventually, inevitably switches back to Command-Shift X. Approximately once every three weeks or so. Please, let me remove the keyboard shortcut entirely and permanently, I never want this to pop up, especially when using Google Docs.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @saro, it's strange that the keyboard shortcut switches back to Command-Shift-X. I've never encountered the keyboard shortcuts changing without making updates to them myself.

What browser are you using? Do you clear your browsing data on a regular basis? Do you notice any other changes in your extension settings when the keyboard shortcut switches back?

• saro
    saro
    Community Member

Hello, I am using Chrome on macOS. I do not notice any other changes in my extension settings.

• Thanks for getting back to us @saro.

Do you notice anything else happen when it switches back? Are you clearing your browsing data? Is this happening after an update or does it just seem sporadic?

It would be good if we could pinpoint exactly when this is happening so we can file an issue with our team to see if we can improve the behaviour in certain scenarios.

• Chipito
    Chipito
    Community Member

Please please please make it so the shortcut can also be changed in Safari!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Chipito in Safari specifically, there is a limitation which prevents us from allowing the command+shift+x shortcut to be customized or removed. We have an internal issue open about this, and our developers are working with our friends at Apple to see if improvements can be made in a future update to 1Password. We sincerely apologize for any interruption in your workflow caused by this.

For now, I recommend using Google Docs in another browser, such as Chrome, Brave, or Firefox. If you install 1Password in those other browsers, it would be possible to update the command+shift+x shortcut so that it does not conflict with existing shortcuts.

I hope that workaround can improve your experience. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Chipito
    Chipito
    Community Member

Oh thanks so much for the update @Joy_1P ... that's the most specific response we've gotten and I'm glad to know there's still a glimmer of hope one day. In the meantime I'm just sticking with disabling the 1P safari extension.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@Chipito you are welcome. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out again. Have a good day.

• saro
    saro
    Community Member

It looks like the extension gets reset to Command-Shift X whenever Chrome updates itself, although I'm not 100% sure.

It just happened again, so I disabled the 1Password chrome extension. :(

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@saro I'm sorry that you've had to disable the 1Password extension in Chrome. I'll test things out on on my end to see if I can reproduce the behavior after Chrome updates. As a note, it might be a while before I can share my test results. I am running the latest version of Chrome at this time.

With the 1Password extension in Chrome off, I recommend using Universal Autofill from the 1Password desktop app to fill your logins: https://support.1password.com/mac-universal-autofill/

I hope that can help for now. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• bobbychaz
    bobbychaz
    Community Member

+1 to change the default and save us a step. thanks!

• Thanks for your feedback @bobbychaz, I have passed it on to the team.

• Mike123456
    Mike123456
    Community Member

This is still a problem. It's super irritating, and is making me consider dropping 1Password for an alternative. For why it come back in the browser, it looks like either when there is a browser or extension update, it resets the keyboard shortcut. It's super shortsighted of 1Password developers to continue to use a keyboard shortcut that is widely used in a bigger application (sorry, but it is). It wouldn't bother me if it was a 1 time "fix" and didn't get reset, but every couple weeks it seems like it messes up and I have to go in and remove the shortcut. Heck, I'd even take a way to just disable keyboard shortcuts in the extension, as long as that setting didn't get reset.

• Hey @Mike123456,

I'm sorry for the trouble, I'd be interested to hear more about the issue you are seeing. Do you clear your browser history frequently or have it set to after a period of time?