Can't tell what account I am logged into as family name shows instead of family member's name.

Options
rallyn1password
rallyn1password
Community Member

I am having trouble in the UI the user is displayed with the family name not the user's name. This is very confusing and has caused trouble as I have to log into my mother's account to make changes there, then back to my account, and cannot log into both at the same time. The label is the same on both.

Is there a way to change this? It is extremely confusing, especially in the Manage Accounts screen as well as this says nothing about which account I am logged into.

How do I see what actual family account I am signed into?

Thanks for the help.

1Password Version: 8.9.15
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.2
Browser:_ All
Referrer: forum-search:logging into other family member account

Comments

• Hi there @rallyn1password

the user is displayed with the family name not the user's name

That's correct – the chooser you showed in the first screenshot is the account and collection chooser. Since you're using a family account, we show the family name.

I have to log into my mother's account to make changes there

I'd love to hear more about this, so could you tell me a bit more? Does the Shared vault not do what you need in this case? If you can let me know what you're aiming to do, that'll be a big help.

You could sign in to 1Password.com with your mother's account details to make changes for her there, to avoid having to sign out of the 1Password app and sign in again.

cannot log into both at the same time

Correct. If we allowed more than one family member to be signed in to the same 1Password app at the same time, it would be a security problem. For example, there would be two "Private" vaults in the sidebar. Each Private vault can only be viewed and edited by its respective family member, but that setup would allow multiple family members to see into each others' Private vaults. This could be true of other vaults too, if they weren't shared with the whole family.

the Manage Accounts screen [...] says nothing about which account I am logged into

There's a distinction to be made here which is important in this context. The account is the family account, with the family name. You and your mother are users on that account. In 1Password Families, we call users "family members" but the idea is the same.

The same works for Business and Teams accounts – when I sign in to 1Password for work, it says the company name, not mine, since I'm part of the company's account.

There are a couple of ways to double-check which user of an account is signed in:

1. On the lock screen, hover the pointer over an account icon and it'll show the email address below the account name, like this:

1. If 1Password is already unlocked, choose the 🔽 down arrow next to the account name, then "Set Up Another Device...", as you'll have seen in your first screenshot. The email address will be shown along with the other account details, like this:

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• rallyn1password
    rallyn1password
    Community Member
    Options

Grey,

Thanks for the reply. So a couple follow ups:

• Please add "user name" to the "account name" in the above UI so it is obvious which user is logged in, and no other poking around is required
    • The point of logging into an account (Allyn Family) as my mom (user) is so I can see all of the stuff she sees, so security is not an issue. I already have all her credentials.

I have created a new thread about my family experience and a few questions. Here is the link to it.

Let's leave this one with the request to add "user name" to the UI for Family accounts to make it obvious who is logged in. I would prefer it to be <username> - <accountname> format, as logged in user is more important than the account name.

Thanks,

• Robert
  • GreyM1P
    edited February 2023
    Options

@rallyn1password

I've filed some feedback on your behalf for the Product team to review, linking to your comments here. I'll take a look at your other thread shortly.

ref: PB-30761420

• Ronso
    Ronso
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• @Ronso

Thank you for adding your voice. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-31239524

This discussion has been closed.