1Password 8: Nested tags shown as regular tags (no hierarchy)

XIII
XIII
Community Member

I use nested tags (examples 2fa/totp and 2fa/sms) and regular ones (example app).

On macOS the nesting is visible (clear hierarchy):

#2fa
  #totp
  #sms
#app

But on iOS/iPadOS all tags are shown the same way:

2fa
totp
sms
app

Can you please show nested tags properly on iOS and iPadOS as well?

1Password Version: 8.7.0 (80700045 Nightly)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: iOS 15.4.1 & iPadOS 15.4.1

Comments

• chrisdj
    edited April 2022

@XIII We already have an issue filed to correct this. Look for it in an upcoming beta release!

ref: dev/core/core#14264

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member

@chrisdj - any update on this? I just updated 1Password on iOS to v8 and the tags are displayed in a flat list with no hierarchy. Many of the tag names are meaningless without the context of the tag hierarchy so this effectively makes it almost impossible to navigate by tag.

• @semblance Thanks for checking in! The issue is still open and awaiting work.

• YellowVista
    YellowVista
    Community Member

+1. Please also add support for this to 1Password.com.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

This is how hierarchy looks like in the 1Password for iOS 8.10.0 81000024 Beta.
    Is that what you’re looking for @XIII ?

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023

Thanks for the screenshot @Manaburner

I've added several folks to this request. It's nice to see this happening. I don't use nested tags but I've given some new consideration to it lately.

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

@Manaburner this looks good. If you had a single item with single tag named "temp/tomp", is that how it would be rendered?

In other words like the desktop version, where an implied tag hierarchy is inferred based on tag names you create containing a special separator character.

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

@ag_tommy Are there any plans to make nodes in the tag hierarchy be expandable/contractable, in all versions of 1Password, not just iOS?

The reason I ask is that I have a large tag hierarchy, with about 200 tags and hierarchy nodes.

On macOS, if I scroll the left-hand navigation pane vertically then to get through all my tags takes about 9 screenfulls, and on my iPhone it takes about 17 screenfulls.

Being able to expand/contract nodes in the hierarchy would make it much easier to navigate.

Part of the reason I have so many tags is that I use tags to track which personal data I've registered with which web site, using a hierarchical naming system ending with a value.

I also use tags for other purposes, including a substitute for 1Password's "Categories" using a taxonomy that makes sense to me.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023

@semblance

I filed a feature request for that one too. I can't recall any movement but that's not necessarily an indicator of incoming features. Since you've mentioned it, I'll ring that bell again and make sure the team knows you're interested.

ref: PB-30762358

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member

That's great, thanks @ag_tommy !

• You're welcome.

• YellowVista
    YellowVista
    Community Member

@ag_tommy The tag hierarchy in the iOS beta looks good.

I have a lot of tags, and being able to expand/collapse them (on all platforms) would be a BIG usability improvement.

Another useful feature would be an option to hide tags that only appear in certain vaults. For example, at work, we have a shared “IT” vault. One of the IT people adds a lot of tags that aren’t useful to me and clutter up the tag list in my 1Password account. I’d like to be able to hide the displaying of tags from that vault. But, if an item in that vault was tagged with a tag that was the same as one of the visible tags from my Private vault (or another vault for which I haven’t hidden tags), then that item should still show up when selecting that tag.

For example, I have a “Networking” tab for items related to our network (router, switch, and access point info, NAT devices, Wi-Fi passwords, etc). When someone adds an item to the shared “IT” vault and tags it with “Networking”, “Wi-Fi”, and “WiFi” (yes, one with and one without the hyphen!), I don’t want to see the tags in my tag list for that item in the shared vault if those tags don’t appear in my Private vault (or other vaults for which I haven’t hidden tags). But since I have a Networking tag, tapping my Networking tag should display that item in the shared vault.

Basically, I want the tags in my tag list to reflect MY tagging scheme, not the random tagging scheme of my mom, my kid, or that tag happy guy in the IT department. Does that make sense?

Finally, it would be awesome if we could pin certain tags to the top of the list. I use some tags more than others, and although alphabetical sorting makes sense, it would be nice if I could pin the most used or most important tags to the top.

Thanks!

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Sorry @semblance I‘m not sure if I follow. I create the hierarchy by naming the tag „temp/tomp“ and then in the item overview, it looks like in the screenshot. In the item itself, you just see a tag named „temp/tomp“

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member

@Manaburner yes that’s what I meant, thanks.

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

@YellowVista Unless I'm very much mistaken, you can already do this.

If you create a Collection containing only a subset of Vault(s), then you only see tags from those Vault(s). So if you had separate Collections for your vault, your family's vaults, and your IT vault, it should solve the issue.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Please add my vote to the requested "Collapse/Expand" feature for tags. This would be awesome to have

• YellowVista
    YellowVista
    Community Member

@YellowVista Unless I'm very much mistaken, you can already do this.

If you create a Collection containing only a subset of Vault(s), then you only see tags from those Vault(s). So if you had separate Collections for your vault, your family's vaults, and your IT vault, it should solve the issue.

@semblance Thanks for the reply. Although you're right that I can create a Collection to only show certain vaults (e.g., my Private vault, etc.), that hides both the tags and the items in the other vaults. What I would like is the option to be able to see the items in the shared vaults but not have my tag list cluttered up with other people's random tagging schemes. ... But this feature request is FAR down the list compared to the wanting to be able to see nested tabs in all platforms and the ability to expand/collapse tags in all platforms.

This discussion has been closed.