Cannot find Generate Password menu option

Options
edspyhill05
edspyhill05
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Windows

What programming genius decided to hide the Generate Password menu option from users? I cannot find it on Android versions and on Windows version/ This menu option is not clearly displayed. This should not be designed to be like a game with hidden rewards. User need some standardization

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @edspyhill05 !

There is a feature request already to bring the password generator back into the Windows app and others. Hopefully it comes back in the near future. As a workaround, you could use the browser extension to create passwords. Or create a new item, switch into the password field and there you are able to create a random password.

• edspyhill05
    edspyhill05
    Community Member
    Options

I think I found 3 different ways to generate a new password but I probably forget all three.

Thank you.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

but I probably forget all three

That's it. So hopefully the password generator comes back with its own button / option in the systray icon.

• edspyhill05
    edspyhill05
    Community Member
    Options

Another day I cannot generate secure passwords on an android device. The 1password app has become unusable. Your programmers design the app changes to be for them and them only. I'm sure they get bored with the software, but they deal with it day in and day out. Not so for users. Ensure the app is USABLE by the paying customer, not the programmers. I also think you need to find managers that are not cowed by programmers. I will need to switch to another password manager AGAIN. Fourth time in 2022. Unfortunately I paid for the year in advance but I would like a refund. The 1password software is broken.

• FaZant
    FaZant
    Community Member
    Options

Neither can I on my MacOS. Not happy. Have been hoping for several months now, have given up hoping. Of course, I can just open the account, enter some simple password and then go to forgot password. For some obscure reason 1P then offers a password. Complicated, not why I have been using it for so many years.!

• ag_mike_d
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi @edspyhill05 / @FaZant and thanks for the help @DenalB! 👍

The password generator is available 1Password in the browser:

Within the apps, the password generator is built into the workflow of changing and strengthening your passwords:

You can create a new Login item temporarily, select the password field to create and copy the password.

Thanks for your feedback and letting us know that you'd like to see a standalone password generator in the apps. I've passed this feedback by way of an Insight we're tracking for the Product team.

Let us know if you have any other suggestions!

ref: 30748230
    ref: 30748499

@edspyhill05 - related to your troubles with generating password on 1Password for Android, I'd like to ask you to send an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com so the Android team can help you to troubleshoot any difficulties yare experiencing.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here.

• edspyhill05
    edspyhill05
    Community Member
    Options

ag_mike_d
    "You can create a new Login item temporarily, select the password field to create and copy the password."

I have used that workaround a few times but it adds unnecessary housekeeping steps to keep the data uncluttered.

Thank you

• ag_mike_d
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hello again @edspyhill05,

Thanks for letting us know. I added this additional feedback to the Insight we have created for our Product team.

Let us know if you have any other suggestions or we can be of further help!

ref: 30748230

This discussion has been closed.