Search items without a tag named X

Options
ranman777
ranman777
Community Member

Hello, I am using the Windows desktop app 8.9.14 version and searched through the support community and didnt see an existing thread for this question, so I am posting here.
I want to know if there is a way to search for items in a vault that don't include a certain Tag name. For example, all items Without the tag name Auto.

1Password Version: 8.9.14
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @ranman777,

Thanks for your question! Currently you can search for items by =tag:, or =untagged: for items that contain no tags at all, Search 1Password to find what you need - Search filters.

I'd be happy to pass your request details along to the team for future consideration along with any other details you could share about how you'd like this type of option to function. Could you also let is know if you have another work around currently, or are you manually searching through your items?

Looking forward to your reply.

ref: 30751041

• ranman777
    ranman777
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response, Mike! I have hundreds of items and am on a mission to change all of my passwords for each item. So I am adding a tag to each item that I have made an update to, with a tag of "done". So, if I have finished 40 out of 200 items. I would like to be able to search for items without the tag done. Does that make sense?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

I would do it the other way round: add the tag "todo" to every item and remove it from an item after you have revised it. This way your "todo" list is always available with a single mouse click.

To bulk add the tag, select all items, then drag the selection to the tag in the sidebar (and to bulk remove a tag, right-click the tag in the sidebar and choose delete tag).

• @ranman777

I would say @Tertius3 's suggestion here is the easier way around. I did it a similar way when I had to change some personal details, so I added an update tag on all items, then took it off when that update was done. It was quite satisfying seeing that number decrease as I got through them! :)

• ranman777
    ranman777
    Community Member
    Options

Great Ideas - thanks, I will try it

• ranman777
    ranman777
    Community Member
    Options

That worked - Thank you!

• Hello again @ranman777 - I'm happy to hear Tertius3 and Grey's suggestions helped with this use case.

Just let us know if we can be of further assistance.

This discussion has been closed.