Where has password history gone?

Options
trmmlwrbl
trmmlwrbl
Community Member

Today I tried to set a pw on a site and let 1PW create one. This was saved in 1PW. Unfortunately the site had restrictions on the permitted characters and I had to start again. However, for this I needed the former pw, which I could not find anymore in 1PW. Formerly there was a password history for going back. Where has this gone?

1Password Version: 8.9.15
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 13.2
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hello @trmmlwrbl! 👋

To see a previous password for an item in the 1Password for Mac app you can do the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on the item that you wish to view.
    3. Hover over the password field.
    4. Click on the down arrow on the right of the password field.
    5. Click View Password History.

You will only see the View Password History option if there are previous passwords.

If you have a 1Password account then you can also restore previous versions of your items on 1Password.com: View and restore previous versions of items

-Dave

• trmmlwrbl
    trmmlwrbl
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I know that and it works in the dedicated pw fields. It does not work if you define a section into a pw.

• @trmmlwrbl

You're correct that custom password fields don't currently include a password history, only the default password field of a Login item does. You can still restore previous versions of an item (thus restoring the previous password in a custom password field) using 1Password.com using the guide that I linked to in my previous comment.

That being said, I've filed an internal issue so that our development team can look into this to see if a password history can be added to custom password fields in the future. Thank you for flagging this!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#19939

This discussion has been closed.