Add TOTP with second authenticator?

Options
Lance Lawton
Lance Lawton
Community Member

I've been using Google as the authenticator since 1PW introduced 2FA. Now for the first time I've encountered a server that will only accept Microsoft Authenticator for 2FA. So I've installed the MSAuth app to my phone and also added it as a second authenticator in my 1password.com account.

First, can someone confirm that I've done it right so far? (Or otherwise correct me).

Second, what do I now do to add the MS TOTP to my 1PW login item for the server in question? There's no popup messaage in 1PW about 2FA being available for the site. I've tried manually adding an OTP to the login, before realising I noiw have no QR code to scan. (I had one when I set up the 2FA on the server, but I don't imagine I can get that one back?!) So what's my solution? Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: macOS 12.6.2
Browser:_ Brave ( = Chrome)

Comments

• Hi @Lance Lawton

From the sound of things, if that server only works with Microsoft Authenticator, that would suggest it's not using industry-standard TOTP (time-based one-time passwords), so you won't be able to add them to 1Password – the Microsoft Authenticator protocol is proprietary.

You could still save the secret you're given in 1Password, but it won't be able to generate one-time passwords. Then, if you lost access to Microsoft Authenticator, you may well be able to set it up again using that secret.

If there's an option for that server to use industry-standard TOTP instead, you can Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions. :)

— Grey

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Grey,

Very sorry to take ages to get back. Appreciate the info. Guess I might have a go at drawing the industry standard to the company's attention. They can only ignore me ...

• @Lance Lawton

I hope that you find success! Let us know if there's anything else that we can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

🤙🏻

• 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.