Feature Request: Window snapping (Win+left/right/up/down, mouse-dragging title bar)

Options
jvosk
jvosk
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Windows

Window snapping doesn't appear to work on the Windows client.

Maybe this fundamentally cannot be enabled due to security implications; if that's the case, I can live with that.

Otherwise, especially for users that like to manage window size/alignment/positioning, this would be a handy feature.

FWIW, I have a nifty tool installed on my PC called AquaSnap (link) that (to my knowledge) uses some MS Windows API to hook into the window management engine and add extra features; where other programs can use the AquaSnap shortcuts (e.g. Win+NumPad keys), 1Password for Windows doesn't seem to respond to the same hooks.

Also FWIW, I've tested PowerToys Fancy Zones (link) which do work with the 1Password for Windows client. So if I enable "Override Windows Snap" in PowerToys > Fancy Zones, then the keyboard window snapping does function as I like.

(I have no clue what the code for the client looks like; I wonder if the change might involve something from this SO Q/A?)

TL;DR: minor feature request for Windows client, integrate with/enable Windows Snap (if it doesn't compromise security considerations).

1Password Version: future
OS Version: Windows 10+

Comments

• Hello @jvosk,

Thanks for your message and sorry for the troubles you are experiencing with snapping the 1Password 8 for Windows desktop client.

Snapping currently does and should work as expected with 1Password 8 for Windows - I use it regularly.

Do you have any available Windows updates? I'm also wondering if some other software is interfering. Can you try restarting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled and then try snapping the 1Password app again to see if this helps with this behaviour?

If things are working in safe mode, I would turn your attention to, and try temporarily disabling any other software that may be affecting this. I would also suggest reaching out to Microsoft Support to see if they have any additional feedback to share as to why you may be running into issues with the Windows snap feature.

I hope this information helps, but if you have any other questions about 1Password 8, just let us know!

• jvosk
    jvosk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response! I disabled AquaSnap and the Win OS-level snapping is working great. I realise I oughta bark up a different tree on this one; will submit a bug report with the developer of that software.

• Good morning @jvosk,

Thanks for the update and letting us know that you've discovered the issues here.

If you run into any troubles with 1Password, just let us know!

This discussion has been closed.