Backing up our data

Options
shhh
shhh
Community Member

I see this blog written by Jeffrey Goldberg dated 2013. Is there an update given that local vaults are no longer encouraged?

I also see the 1PUX unencrypted export format.

In the unlikely event that AgileBits goes out of business and takes down their servers, what recourse do customers have? Suppose I take a 1PUX backup every week or month, what can I do with it?

Thoughts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Brrry
    Brrry
    Community Member
    Options

Export your vault to both CSV and 1PUX formats. The CSV format can be used to transfer your passwords to another password manager, while the 1PUX format is for importing into 1Password. If you only have a 1PUX file as backup, rename it to .rar, extract it using WinRAR or 7zip, change the extracted file "export.data" to "export.json", and then open it with a text editor or import it into Excel using the Power Query editor.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

The CSV format does not have attachments, does it? Does the 1PUX have attachments?

I guess I can try both the exports and see for myself.

Thanks

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    Options

@shhh You always have access to your data, as there is a cache of your vault on the devices you are signed into also.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

@tomatoshadow2 I see. So I guess if 1Password were to have an outage and its service was to go offline, I would still be able to use 1Password on all my devices where I am already signed in but any changes I make to my data on one device will not be synced to the other devices?

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    Options

@shhh Yes this is correct, the changes will be synced for you, when you reconnect your device to the web.

• @shhh

As tomatoshadow2 mentioned, 1Password is designed so that you retain access to your data:

1. If you lose one of your devices then you can still access your data on your other devices or on 1Password.com
    2. If you lose all of your devices then you can still access your data on 1Password.com
    3. If 1Password.com were to suddenly disappear tomorrow then your devices will still have an offline cached copy of your data.

And there's no need to perform manual backups since you can always restore accidentally edited or deleted items: View and restore previous versions of items

What I would do is make sure that you download and save your Emergency Kit somewhere safe.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    Options

This is probably my top feature of 1Password, never having to worry about creating a backup of my vault or better yet all the 2FA seeds I store in 1Password.

• It definitely feels peaceful knowing that 1Password is protecting your data for you. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.