Differences autofill and safari extension

Options
Finke03
Finke03
Community Member

Hi,
today I started to switch from 1PW7 to 1PW8 on iOS. Until now I used the autofill functionality and disabled the safari extension. What is the benefit of safari extension or recommended way to fill out logins on websites? I think it makes no sense to use both or? For the extension I need to allow 1PW to read the data on all websites. This is not required for autofill, right?

Looking forward to get some insights.

Regards
Finke

Comments

• Hello @Finke03! 👋

Great question! Password AutoFill is specifically handled by iOS and 1Password only provides the data for the experience. It allows you to fill your username and password into any iOS app. You can read more about Password AutoFill here: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

On the other hand, the 1Password for Safari extension features greatly improved filling capabilities and offers an experience that is similar to what you're already used to with 1Password for the browser on the desktop. Unlike Password AutoFill, 1Password for Safari is able to fill and save credit cards, addresses, privacy cards, and masked email aliases.

I personally keep both enabled since I like using the extension in Safari but need to have Password AutoFill enabled for when I want to fill logins in other iOS apps. 🙂

-Dave

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P,
    thanks for the reply and explanation.
    I‘m now looking forward to find the best solution for myself.

Regards
    Finke

• @Finke03

I'm happy to help. We'll be here if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.