Feature Request: Centrally managed secrets that can be shared in other vaults

ks1p
ks1p
Community Member

Hi!

I'm working as an IT SysAdmin at a software company with circa 400 users. We are early adopters and active users of 1Password. From time to time I run into missing features though. Here's one.

IT has to manage and store secrets for hundreds of applications and services, but there are other teams too who occasionally need accessing one or more secrets that only IT has access to. Maybe not even teams, only certain member of such teams.
Situations like this usually leaves us with having the same secret recreated in many vaults which you can imagine is a pain to administrate and update if the secret or its component(s) has to change. If the original created and sharer of that secret wasn't me then it most likely won't have tons of extra info saved in it where I refer to whereelse the secret is stored, meaning sooner or later we will end up desyncronised outdated secrets scattered all over the place.

So my feature request is either create a special secret type or a conversion button or a special share button(s) for soft/hard linking, that allows me to share a secret from the main vault with other vaults, so the necessary users can view those secrets without the need of granting them access to a master vault or creating dozens of extra vaults for each situation or recreating the secret in their team vault.
Alternatively it also could happen that certain secret needs to be accessed and occasionally changed by people in different teams, now instead of putting the secret in many different vaults or creating one for a specific occasion, we could use hard links, meaning I create the secret in my IT admin vault, then I determine the groups or vaults that it needs to be present too and share it with a way they if any one of them changes it, it will reflect on the other instances of the same secret.

I hope it's understandable what I'm requesting here. I think we are not the first and last who run into such situation.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
KS

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Feature request

Comments

• ag_max
    edited February 2023

Hi @ks1p, 👋

Thanks for taking the time to share your helpful feature request and detailed use case. As you've written, this functionality that has been requested before and I'll be happy to pass this on to the rest of the team for consideration.

I also encourage you to contact our business team via email (business@1password.com), as they may be able to work with you individually to collect more feedback to improve 1Password, as well as assist with your use case going forward.

ref: pb-31045655

This discussion has been closed.