Cannot wipe Pixel and need to prevent 1password access

Options
technomensch
technomensch
Community Member

Current phone - Pixel 5a
Issue - Black Screen of Death

My Pixel 5a is currently experiencing the well-talked-about Black Screen of Death. I have spoken with Google and they are going to do a warranty replacement, but I have to send my current phone back. For obvious reasons, the ideal scenario would be to wipe the device before sending it back. Unfortunately, since I cannot see the screen, I cannot get to the wipe/factory default option. I attempted to perform a remote wipe from Google's "find my" but the phone is not being seen on any network (hopefully it will when/if it ever does). I am on a Mac and did not enable USB debugging for the phone, so I cannot access the phone using a cable. 1password on the Pixel is currently configured to log in with my biometric fingerprint. Right now, I'm just waiting for the battery to die to be sure it is powered down before I send it back. If I change the secret on all my current devices, will that prevent the phone from being able to access 1password on the device, even if offline? Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Pixel Black screen

Comments

• Brrry
    Brrry
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
  • Hey @technomensch, thanks for reaching out to us. We're so happy that you're thinking about the security behind returning a device with the black screen of death!

You can deauthorize the device using the steps below:
    1. Sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
    2. Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
    3. Scroll down to locate your Pixel 5a device in the list of authorized devices.
    4. Click on the gear icon next to it, then click Deauthorize Device.

If the Pixel 5a device revives and is connected to the internet when 1Password is next opened, all data will be purged from that device before it can be used.

You can also follow @Brrry's screenshot to not only deauthorize the device but also regenerate your Secret Key. Note that these instructions are usually for devices that have been lost or stolen. Provided that you have not sent your device to Google yet, you can simply deauthorize the device.

Let us know how that goes!

This discussion has been closed.