To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Vaults, do i need to create one?

Options
PerthSurfer
PerthSurfer
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Memberships

Hello everyone, i have just become a 1Password member and i have just migrated my data over here from lastpass and so far it has been an easy process.
All my passwords have been tagged with the folder names they were in on lastpass which is great.
But i've been trying to understand vaults and i'm wondering if i need to create any, or even one?
I just have a single user account and don't share my passwords with anyone or include work passwords etc.

Do i get some benefit from having all my data inside one vault, or am i fine with out it?

Apologies for the newbie question, but i couldn't really find an answer to this when searching.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

A vault is the smallest entity that is synced to a device, or where you can set access control. It can be a means to switch between work related items and private related items. Or if you want to sync only a subset of your items to your phone.

However, if you just want all your items available on all devices all the time, just use one single vault. Like me, I also use one single vault for all of my items.

Sorting and organizing items is done with tags, as you already found out. In case you didn't find out yet: you can also create nested tags and a tag hierarchy by using / within the tag name. It's not yet respected in the web interface of 1Password, but in the desktop and mobile apps.

• PerthSurfer
    PerthSurfer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for explaining this, it's much appreciated. So it sounds like i just need one vault like you have used as i want all my items available on all devices all the time.

I wondered though, since i seem to have that access already without any vault, is there any benefit to creating one vault and putting all my passwords in it? Or is it just the same if i have no vault but everything marked with tags?

Also, the nested tag idea sounds very useful, thanks for the info.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023
    Options

@PerthSurfer

A default vault Private/Personal is created with the account. Are you looking for additional vaults? Most folks use one unless they have a specific need.

No worries on the searching. We're here to help. Welcome to the family by the way. We're glad to have you with us.

• PerthSurfer
    PerthSurfer
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

Ah i see, i didn't realise that a default vault was created with the account. I have just looked again, and you are right, it's created a vault called "personal" and all my data is in it. This is all i need. Thank you for helping me understand, and thank you too for the welcome. The vibe as well as knowledge here is awesome!

• You're most welcome.

This discussion has been closed.