TPM why or why note

Options
pathfinder76
pathfinder76
Community Member

I am confused. in setting up windows hello with pin, in internet says use TPM, but 1password suggest that this is less safe.

what are practical points to using with and whiteout tpm

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

not not note

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

so according to microsoft tpm makes the system safer.. but here is what 1password said when i turned it on..

When this setting is on , a malicous app could gain access to yoru 1password.

• Hello @pathfinder76,

Sorry for the delay in response. With regard to your question about the warning received when Using the Trusted Platform Module with Windows Hello, I've to included a link to alternate discussion that speaks to why we've included that prompt.

I hope this information helps, but if you have any other questions, just let us know!

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

that does help, but if i choose NOT, to use TPM, and use the software version, doesn't that keep the same vulneraiblity?

• Hello again @pathfinder76,

In either case, 1Password hands the control over to Windows Hello. So a rogue piece of software could mimic the Windows Security prompt. The TPM is, in short, a secure place to store those keys and allows for 1Password to unlock with Windows Hello and persist through reboots/restarts.

When the TPM is not enabled Windows Hello becomes enabled when you unlock 1Password for Windows with your account password for the first time after you boot, reboot, or had completely exited the desktop app. This generates a new temporary unlock key to use. When you click the Hello button, we send an API call to Windows to confirm you are who you are, same as if the TPM is enabled.

Bottom line, it's best to take all reasonable precautions with your device to ensure it is free of malware and you trust the software installed. If you have further concerns, I've included our guide About Windows Hello security in 1Password for Windows.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

thanks

• You're most welcome, @pathfinder76. 👍

This discussion has been closed.