What do I do if I did not save QR code after initiating two-factor authentication?

Options
dogolaca
dogolaca
Community Member

I just set up two-factor authentication with 1Password for the first time. I scanned the code, entered the one-time code. But I didn't save the QR code. How can I recover it, or is it best to cancel 2FA at the site, then start over?

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.1
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:did not save QR code

Comments

• Hi @dogolaca,

To confirm, are the one-time passwords being generated for this item by 1Password continuing to work?

Either way, it isn't currently possible to recover the QR code originally used. 1Password scans it to generate the one-time passwords but doesn't save the QR code itself. Whether you need to have it, especially for those websites that supply back up codes, is up to your personal preference. If you do ultimately decide you'd like to keep a copy of the QR code, you're correct that you would need to disable and re-enabled 2FA for that website.

Let me know how things go or if you have any questions. 🙂

• dogolaca
    dogolaca
    Community Member
    Options

Andrew, Thanks for your prompt reply.

Well, the one site I set up for 2FA seems to work. (Tumblr) On iPhone, logged out and rebooted, then restarted and logged back in. 1PW worked flawlessly as usual to fill in username/password, then prompted for 2FA code, which I copied from 1PW. So that seems to work. I would have expected 1PW to fill in automagically without my having to switch apps. But it worked, and I feel like I'll always be able to get back to that site using the backup codes provided by Tumblr.

FYI, when I logged into Tumbler on Safari, after 1PW filled in username/password, the 2FA code was partly filled in with digits that didn't seem match the 2FA code. But I could peek at 1PW, copy the 2FA code and paste it into the login.

So it seems not to matter much that I failed to keep the QR code.

Is it too much for me to expect that 1PW should be filling in the 2FA code by itself without my having to copy and paste them?

I described this in great detail as I don't know what aspect is actually most important for you to see what's going on. You can mark this case closed, although I would like an answer to my question -- I didn't see it in the documentation for 2FA,

Don

• @dogolaca

On the phone assuming you were using password autofill for the app, double-tap into the TOTP field and use the paste option. I'd also head over to Settings > Notifications and make sure you enable TOTP notifications. When you fill an app the TOTP will be auto copied to the pasteboard and ready for you to fill. The reason for the copy/paste with the notification is that password autofill can only fill the username and password the TOTP notification was added as a way to help folks fill the codes.

This discussion has been closed.