To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

computer crashes before print secret key

Options
pathfinder76
pathfinder76
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Memberships

What happens I reset my secret key, and then as i go to print it, or back it up, my computer crashes. now i dont know my new secret key, and i need it to reset my account on a new computer. rare event, but is it catastrophic in terms of loosing all your passwords

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

*by crash i mean, in this case, computer is not restartable, and data is lost

• @pathfinder76

If this is hypothetical, the Secret Key is 1/2 of the combination to your data. Your password is the other half. If you've reset it and you do not have it saved anywhere ,then yes, the outcome would not look good. You need both halves to access your data.

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

only a matter of time before that happens. would be interesting to hear what folks think could be possible solution

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

Here is one solution.

You create a system were 1password, can use 2 secret keys.

Password A1 is the original secret key.

1password then lets you set up a second secret key B2, now both A1 and B2 work. Then B2 is backed up. Then C3 is set up, which replaces A1. Now B2 and C3 work.

that way, one would survive the crash.

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

other option is change from A1 to B2, and both are effective(file again has two secret kesy), until the user confirms B2 is backed up, and the the file is rewritten with only B2.

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

actually i just came up with a good workaround. i have a family account, i created a new (temp) member who has access to all my data. then i back that up, then i change my secret key, then back the new one up, then delete the temp member

This discussion has been closed.