Safari Extension for 1Password 8?

shelbys
shelbys
Community Member
edited September 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I recently installed 1PW 8 beta on my MBP. And still keep the original 1PW 7 for safety. However, when I click the 1PW extension button in Safari, it still shows window of 1PW 7. Is there anyway to install 1PW 8 extension in Safari?

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Monterey

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @shelbys!

You can download the Safari extension for 1Password 8 from here :+1:

• shelbys
    shelbys
    Community Member

thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @shelbys! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• jamiebeemac
    jamiebeemac
    Community Member

I have been trying this and I have installed the application 1Password for Safari.app v2.1.4. However when I open safari and go to extensions 1Password is not there.

• Hi @jamiebeemac:

I'm sorry you're running into this. As a first step, can you try running this command in Terminal?

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

This will rebuild the launch services database which includes the extension. Let me know if it works!

Jack

• jamiebeemac
    jamiebeemac
    Community Member

Jack,

That did the trick, thanks for the swift response. Going half a day without the Safari extension was tough ;)

• Glad to hear that sorted it for you @jamiebeemac! I'd feel much the same way without 1Password in Safari too :smile:

• toughtapes
    toughtapes
    Community Member

I had the same issue, and I ran that code and solved my problem too. This is NOT obvious, but thanks for the help

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

• We're glad it helped you @toughtapes Sorry for the hassle.

• MBmacs
    MBmacs
    Community Member

Glad I found this tip on the support community pages, but from my experience trying to get the 1Password8 extension to actually work in Safari on MacOS Monterey 12.5.1, in my opinion, this terminal command should be posted in the 1Password for Safari extensions description page. Prior to running this terminal command, the process to install the extension did not work as directed -- including after quitting 1PW8, restarting Safari, and then finally restarting the computer.

• @MBmacs

I'm sorry that the solution to the issue was difficult to find. The latest versions of 1Password 8 for Mac come with a built-in tool to fix this issue so that you no longer need to run the Terminal command:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password 8 for Mac app.
    2. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Fix Missing Safari Extension from the menu bar.

The new built-in tool is documented here: If you don't see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar

Thank you for the feedback! 🙂

• vdl
    vdl
    Community Member

I can't get working 1Password extension with Safari Technologie Preview (it's work with Safari)
    Any Idea ?

• @vdl

I was able to locate a known issue on our side when using STP. I'm afraid I do not have any workaround to offer. I've added your report to the internal tracker.

ref: dev/core/core#7695

• vdl
    vdl
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Thanks for the quick feedback. I just have to wait for the fix

• Apologies for the disruption @vdl.

This discussion has been closed.