To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Identities

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Memberships

I'm not sure that I understand correctly how Identities work so help is appreciated.

Currently I have four identities:
Two personal
Two company

I think I can and should merge the two personal ones into a single Personal Identity: No problem

When 1P uses an Identity to fill in details on a web site, how does it chose which identity to use? I can find no where to select a default identity.

If 1P choses the wrong Identity; how do I change that?

My identity addresses do do not allow for a "State", but I live in Switzerland where we have Cantons so I would like to add that to my address. How do I do that? (Note this is not a critical issue).

Lastly, I use +email addresses and that is particularly valuable to me with one of my company identities but I can see no way to enter more than one ema1l address per Identity and so I see no way to select the right address for what I am trying to do. (again, not critical as I can adapt the email address suggested. It would simply be easier to select from a drop down list).

None of this is anywhere close to being as critical as getting 1P8 to be back to the level of 1P7. It is sad that the design team for 1P8 had such tunnel vision.

1Password Version: Current Beta
Extension Version: 2.7
OS Version: W10 Pro
Browser:_ Edge latest version

Comments

• @Andrew42

I have a single entry for myself and one for each son, and one for work; Plus several auxiliary identities for testing. When I need to fill one I head to the browser toolbar and my identity is show as a suggestion. Assuming you have 1Password in the browser set for suggestions. If I make a mistake, I typically fill again using the correct identity. Double-check to make sure any forms were set accordingly with the correct details.

I have a + email address set as a distinct identity. The key to it, in my own usage, is to make sure you give the items distinctive names. It helps prevent confusion. Perhaps some of the others from the community can offer suggestions that may benefit you.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your suggestions. I had not thought of setting up each +email address as a separate identity. I will have to nurdle this and understand the full implications

• It can get problematic if you over think it. I did and ended up needing to cull a few which left me with my current setup. From someone who went all in, try a few and see if it fits your workflow before spending the time to create a lot of them. Best of luck in your endeavor.

This discussion has been closed.