1P8 version of Safari Plugin on Mac

Recently updated to 1P8 after the release that allowed selecting a default vault for new items[THANKS!].

How do I update my Safari 1P from 1P7 to 1P8. My Safari plugin doesn't appear to know anything about the collections I setup and use on other devices as well as the Mac App. It has been showing me items from vaults that I don't normally have active and are not in my main collection. I don't see anything about a 1P8 plugin anywhere and the version numbers don't seem to match. My current Safari extension is back on 1P2 - (2.7.0). How do I get the matching 1P8 plugin and be able to work with my collections like in the other 1P8 products?

I have been temporarily able to drill down many levels into Settings and chose my main vaults to be active, but it isn't quick or easy to select other vaults when the need arises. I am hoping the 1P8 plugin has exposed the collections interface to be consistent. I just need to be pointed to it.

Thank you!
- L

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @Lacrocious

The current version of 1Password for Safari is 2.7.0. It is not possible for it to work with collections at this time. We've had requests (myself included) for this ability. At this time there is no news I can provide on the feature request. In the interim, you might look into using Quick Access and it can make use of collections.

Get to know Quick Access

• Lacrocious
    Lacrocious
    Community Member

Ah - OK. I thought the 1P8 release was across the board, not just for the stand-a-lone apps. Please add another vote to have the browser plugin functionality brought current with the rest of the line. Thank you,
    - L

• Hey @Lacrocious,

Thank you for getting back to us, I have passed on your feedback to the team.

ref: PB31223711

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Waterside, the classic extension was built for the 1Password 7 app. It does not work and will not be supported in 1Password 8. To save and fill with 1Password 8, you'll need the newer standalone extension: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

I'm curious, did you use the standalone extension with 1Password 7? Is that where you saw issues with syncing? If so, I'm happy to let you know that we've made updates to the standalone extension and 1Password 8 so that they can connect better. I recommend using the standalone extension with 1Password 8, and if you run into any issues, please let us know. We're here to help with anything that comes up.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@Waterside I do want you to know that we appreciate your feedback. We're always looking for ways to improve, and we're only able to do that with input from users like you.

That said, I do want to clarify a few things. The new extension is standalone across all browsers including Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. The installation for Safari just happens to be done a little differently, due to how modern extensions are handled by Safari. Here's a thread that sheds light on that: Why is there an app associated with 1password for Safari?

Additionally, while I can understand why you prefer the experience of the classic extension, I do want to note that the standalone extension is superior to the classic extension in some important ways. First and foremost, the standalone extension makes it possible for users to use 1Password only in the browser and without the app. For those who don't want or need to manage their data via the app, the simplicity here is a benefit.

Secondly, the classic extension was not always consistent in function and design across different browsers and operating systems. For example, this is what the classic extension looked like in a browser on a Mac: https://share.cleanshot.com/NdYFhXhG. This is what the classic extension looked like in a browser on a PC: https://share.cleanshot.com/S6720wRc.

Overall the inconsistencies made it harder for us to update the classic extension and fix the different issues that would come up with it. Our solution was to make a standalone extension that was independent from the browser and operating system. This independence is what allows for the extension to provide for a more unified experience.

If you do not wish to use the standalone extension, you have the option of using Universal Autofill to fill. Universal Autofill is a feature of the 1Password 8 for Mac app, and it generally works really well. Just keep in mind that Universal Autofill has its limitations, as it is not built on top of the browser like the extension. At the moment, Universal Autofill cannot save logins, it cannot fill credit card items, and it cannot fill Identities. Hopefully all of that gets added down the road.

I do hope that you can use Universal Autofill if you choose not to install the extension. If you have any further feedback, please let us know.

• @Waterside

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed feedback, it really helps us make 1Password better. 🙂

Apple (relatively) recently changed how Safari extensions work and 1Password for Safari is a modern web extension. Building 1Password for Safari as a web extension allows us to follow Apple's best practices and use the latest browser APIs to include more advanced filling and functionality than we were able to include in the old Safari app extension that came with 1Password 7. Modern Safari web extensions will appear in your Mac's Applications folder when you install them.

Syncing does not appear to be improved, matching 1PW items to sites is horrible, and the interface for choosing which item to use (when there should only be one match) is frustrating.

This definitely doesn't sound right. If you update an item using 1Password on another device (or using the Mac app on the same device) those changes should be instantly available when you use 1Password in the browser. So that I can dig deeper to see why you're seeing sync issues between the app and the browser extension, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.