mrc-converter-suite, sticky password not listed

meister128
meister128
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Lounge

Hello,

I'm attempting to export my Sticky Password passwords to 1Password by using the mrc-converter-suite, but Sticky Password isn't listed:

Can someone please advise?

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.10
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.6.2
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@meister128

I’m out of my office for the next 3hours. I’ll reply when I return.

• meister128
    meister128
    Community Member

Thanks @MrC .

One more question: Does the tool support Sticky Password text exports? I'm on a Mac so I don't have the option of exporting the database as XML.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@meister128

Sorry, I was unable to reply to your question - my meeting time had just started.

Unfortunately the macOS version of Sticky Password exports in an ambiguous plain text format. So record boundaries are not clearly defined. Content in notes can be confused with their textual category sections and records themselves.

What type of items do you store in Sticky Password?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@meister128

As I'm looking again at the export, I also note that Sticky Password for macOS does not export any of the Comment data (e.g. notes) from Web Accounts (e.g. Logins in 1Password), nor the Group. Here's an entry, along with its export.

So, while I can create a converter for the macOS text export, it clearly will be missing data which you would have to manually copy / paste into the appropriate 1Password entries, and perhaps set a Tag for the Group.

Let me know if you'd still like a converter for this, and you're willing to manually transfer your Comment data (and anything else that is not contained within the export).

• meister128
    meister128
    Community Member

@MrC thanks for the offer, but I've already begun the (painful) progress of importing my data through a .csv file.

I'm assuming this also explains why it wasn't listed as an option in the converter.

Thanks again!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2023

@meister128

You say CSV file - I'm confused. Their export is not a CSV, at least not for me. Do you get a CSV file?

The README mentions the issue (and I've just added additional commentary):

That's why the macOS helper did not list this password manager.

If you are manually working from the textual export, be sure to copy / paste your Comments from Sticky Password to 1Password.

Nonetheless, I started working on processing the data that is present. It will certainly be useful as a start for others.

• meister128
    meister128
    Community Member

I should clarify. I exported the text file from Sticky Password, and then manually converted that file into a .csv format that 1Password would accept.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@meister128

Got it, thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I'm noting this for future readers. The next update of the suite will reasonably handle the macOS Sticky Password export, and the limitations will be noted in the README.

$ perl convert.pl stickypassword -v ~/Desktop/stickypassword_mac_8.6.2.4352.txt
    Import summary:
       21 items discovered
        2 items were added by splitting 1 original item
    Export summary:
        3 Credit Card items
        3 Identity items
        4 Bank Account items
        4 Secure Note items
        7 Login items
       21 total items
    You may now import the file below into 1Password 8:
        /Users/cappella/Desktop/MCS_converted.1pux