Unlock with Apple Watch very unreliable in 1Password 8 - system sleep seems to break it for 1PW8

Options
ChrisJenkins
ChrisJenkins
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Mac

I use 'unlock with Apple Watch; on my Mac, a lot. As well as using it to unlock the Mac itself, I have several apps that use it one of them being 1Password 8. I often leave my Mac with 1Password open but minimised. I have it set to lock 1PW on sleep, screensaver (never occurs on this Mac) or switching users (also never occurs on this Mac). Every single time I come back to my Mac a bit later, such that the system has slept and then been woken (and unlocked by my Watch) 1 Password no longer offers me the Apple watch unlock dialogue nor does the master password entry field have the watch icon at the right hand end. If I quit 1PW8 and then re-launch it the functionality is instantly restored virtually every time.

I have tried to reproduce this issue with other apps that also provide 'unlock with Apple Watch' functionality but they do not seem to have this issue, hence it seems to me that this is a 1Password 8 bug.

This is quite annoying; any chance of a fix?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.5.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022
    Options

@ChrisJenkins

I often leave my Mac with 1Password open but minimised.
    Every single time I come back to my Mac a bit later, such that the system has slept and then been woken (and unlocked by my Watch)

This is likely the culprit. In my understanding we don't have a way to determine when things like walking away and coming back happen. No presence detection would be how I would describe it. A workaround is when you return to the desk put the cursor in the password field of the app and press the return key. This should trigger an unlock prompt. This is what I do when I walk away for a break and return.

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy I don't see that 'presence' has anything to do with this, nor why it should matter. The issue occurs even if I just lock/sleep my Mac while sitting at my desk and then unlock/wake it a minute later (or 30 seconds later, or an hour later, or...). If 1PW8 was open at the time the system slept, then 'Unlock with Apple Watch' is permanently broken until I quit and re-launch 1PW8.

On system wake:

• macOS itself wakes and unlocks itself with my watch
    • Other apps that use unlock with Apple Watch that I click on to unminmise themselves immediately display the unlock with watch dialogue.
    • 1PW8 just displays its window with the 'Enter your password' field and no offer of watch unlock nor any Apple Watch icon. Clicking in the password field and hitting enter just causes it to wobble; it does not result in the issuance of the unlock with watch dialogue nor the appearance of the watch icon.

This occurs consistently and depends solely on whether the system has slept or not. System sleep seems to break this functionality for 1PW8 (it it is open across the system sleep/wake events) but not for macOS itself nor for other apps. That surely must not be what is desired and should be fixed...

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022
    Options

1PW8 just displays its window with the 'Enter your password' field and no offer of watch unlock nor any Apple Watch icon. Clicking in the password field and hitting enter just causes it to wobble.

That should not be happening. I am using the latest nightly and I tested the behavior against the beta.

it does not result in the issuance of the unlock with watch dialogue

That's odd. This works for both 7 and 8 and has for a very long time. I tried to replicate your experience in 1Password 8 beta/nightly and I cannot do so. It might be that you types a character in the field. Please make sure there is no text entered into the password field when using the trigger. It should trigger any biometrics.

On my MacBook (M1) on the initial wake from sleep no icon is shown. After a few seconds the watch icon appears. I can click it or use the shortcut I described earlier. What kind of device are you using? Is it an Intel or Apple Silicone? I doubt it has any bearing, but you never know.

I've also had some folks have trouble if they were not up-to-date on macOS. They had ran out of space on their drive and the latest updates were not installed. It might be worth checking to make sure no updates are pending installation.

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy It is an Intel MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019). As I mentioned, it is on the very latest OS (Monterey 12.15.1). I'm a software engineer myself, so am very aware of software updates and versions and very diligent about keeping up to date. My iPhone and Watch are also on the very latest versions. I just re-verified that hitting enter in the Password box does not result in triggering the biometrics. There was definitely nothing already typed in the box (but I backspaced just to be sure). I tried several times. I also reverified that quitting and restarting 1Password8 results in an immediate biometric prompt. The issue only occurs if the system sleeps while 1Password8 is open.

• @ChrisJenkins

I am unable to replicate this behavior. I have put my system to sleep just as you did. Upon waking, the feature is always available. Perhaps this has a time factor to it. How long has the sleep occurred on your side? There has to be something different between our configurations or, indeed, a bug. If it were a bug, I would expect others to have reported this behavior, and upon checking our database, none are present that fit this description.

How long are you giving the disk time to wake up before trying? Mine typically takes but a second or two. The only thing I noticed is Intel vs. M1 at this point, which is interesting but not necessarily a problem.

1. Does this device use both Touch ID and Apple Watch or just Apple Watch unlock?
    2. Is the device connected to an external monitor?
    3. Is this Mac used in clamshell mode?
    4. Do you have fingerprints enrolled in Touch ID?

If I can reproduce this, it will go a long way in helping the developers create a fix.

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

How long are you giving the disk time to wake up before trying? Mine typically takes but a second or two. The only thing I noticed is Intel vs. M1 at this point, which is interesting but not necessarily a problem.

The 'disk' is PCIe flash and wakes almost instantly. Hiwever, it doesn't;t matter if I wait 5 seconds or a minute after the Mac has woken the behaviour is the same.

Does this device use both Touch ID and Apple Watch or just Apple Watch unlock?

The Mac has TouchID and that is configured but I only actually ever use Apple Watch unlock.

Is the device connected to an external monitor?

Yes, it is connected to a 5K Thunderbolt-3 monitor.

Is this Mac used in clamshell mode?

Always.

Do you have fingerprints enrolled in Touch ID?

Yes, though they are almost never used (since the Mac is used in Clamshell mode 99.9% of the time).

If I can reproduce this, it will go a long way in helping the developers create a fix.

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thanks @ChrisJenkins

I'm going to get an issue filed for investigation. Could I ask one last thing of you? Could you to send in a diagnostic report from the device? I'd like to get that included with the investigation.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Click 1Password in the menu bar.
    3. Click Preferences.
    4. Click Advanced in the new window that appears.
    5. Click Send Diagnostics.
    6. Click Reveal.
    7. Attach the .1pdiagnostics file saved in that folder to your reply.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: ChrisJenkins
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/654766#Comment_654766

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Done. Support ID is #ZFV-13683-374.

• DmytroK
    DmytroK
    Community Member
    Options

hi @ag_tommy

Could you please let me know if the support ticket above was resolved? I experience the same issue.

Thank you

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023
    Options

@DmytroK

Apologies, no the issue remains open. If you're having issues it sounds like you're experiencing a known issue with Ventura (All recent reports have been Ventura specific). If you'd like please email us a diagnostics report we'd be happy to take a look. The report will allow us to confirm the suspicion.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password preferences will open.
    3. Tap Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: DmytroK
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/677576/#Comment_677576

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Edit: Change link to specific post.

• DmytroK
    DmytroK
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Thank you. Support ID is #LPD-27647-297

• Thanks @Dymtrok

ref: LPD-27647-297

This discussion has been closed.