Ability for non-1p users to securely send credentials?

Options

A constant pain point for my team is outside users that email us passwords. Is there a feature I'm missing that is kind of Psst in reverse? Ideally, we can send out an address when they can input whatever, and it's only readable by our team or the member they send it to with a configurable expiration.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• ag_max
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi @brewerstephen, welcome to the 1Password Support Community, 👋

A constant pain point for my team is outside users that email us passwords. Is there a feature I'm missing that is kind of Psst in reverse? Ideally, we can send out an address when they can input whatever, and it's only readable by our team or the member they send it to with a configurable expiration.

The ability for a person outside your 1Password account to submit information to you isn't currently possible, which you mention would be the reverse of the password secure sharing tool (Psst). I'll go ahead and pass on your feedback to the rest of the team for consideration. It's a good suggestion and I can definitely understand the pain you described, having external users sending you credentials in an unsecure environment.

ref: pb-30849076

The best option right now, and I realize you might already be aware, is to invite external users as guests and share a single vault with them. With access to a vault, they will be able to create items that you can then access:

Share with guests in your team

• bsmithterc
    bsmithterc
    Community Member
    Options

The workaround suggestion is appreciated, but is pretty labor-intensive for one-time use scenarios. We are trying to find a way for new hires to securely communicate a password request to IT before they actually start work at the company; if I'm understanding guest access right, this means that just to get this information into 1Password, we would need to:

• Invite the incoming hire's personal email account as a guest
    • Ask them to set up their 1P account (involves setting up a password, downloading an emergency kit, etc.)
    • Responsibility bounces back to the company to confirm their account and add them to a shared vault
    • Then they can go back in and add their desired password to that vault
    • After which we can delete their Guest account, only to set them up all over again in 1Password with a member account after they actually start work

It's just not a very smooth flow - especially when compared to how easy it is to share credentials outside 1Password, which works like a dream. Is there another place to formally request features, or do posts in this forum count towards that?

• ScottS1P
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hello @bsmithterc,

It's just not a very smooth flow - especially when compared to how easy it is to share credentials outside 1Password, which works like a dream. Is there another place to formally request features, or do posts in this forum count towards that?

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this workflow. I can see why that might be problematic in your case, and I'd be glad to record your interest in the "Reverse Psst" feature being discussed here. In the future, feature requests can be shared here on our community site, or emailed to our support team. Whatever you prefer will work the same way.

We are trying to find a way for new hires to securely communicate a password request to IT before they actually start work at the company

Is there a particular reason your team prefers to have new hires provide a password that's visible to IT? I'd like to better understand your use case so I can be sure I'm representing your feature request correctly. Additionally, many companies seem to handle this process in reverse, by generating a strong password and sharing it with the new employee with something like our Psst sharing links. The employee can then sign in with that password on the first day and be required to pick a new password immediately.

I'll be on the lookout out for your reply.

Thank you,

ref: pb-31239579

• bsmithterc
    bsmithterc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Scott, thanks for your reply. I would rather not get into the details of my company's security/onboarding processes on a public board; would you be able to email me at the address I used to register my account here?

• Hey @bsmithterc,

I would rather not get into the details of my company's security/onboarding processes on a public board

Good point. While I'd be happy to email with you in private, I'm not currently able to access your email address, nor related that to any 1Password accounts you may have. Please send an email to businesssupport@1password.com and include your forum username and a link to this community post. When the system replies back with your ticket number, post it here so I can quickly locate your email and reply to you there.

Thank you,

• bsmithterc
    bsmithterc
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, thanks! Ticket number is 112760.

• Awesome, thanks! Ticket number is 112760.

Got your message and replied. Thanks @bsmithterc.

This discussion has been closed.