macOS 1P steals focus / switches from foreground app to 1P

Options

This is bizarre, but I'm seeing it on two different machines, one a 2021 MBP and the other a 2020 Mini. It started very recently (a couple of days) and persists after reboot.

If the 1P application window is open, even if it's minimized, 1P will periodically steal focus from the previous foreground app. It makes no difference what the foreground app is. It also makes no difference what the "previous app" (Shift+Cmd+Tab) is (i.e. it's not just switching back to the previous app). The 1P application window, even if not-minimized, never appears in the foreground.

While I ordinarily have Better Touch Tool, Karabiner, and SteerMouse active, I've verified that the behavior is the same when the apps are quit entirely or disabled. They're only active on the MBP.

In the case of the mini, SteerMouse is usually active, but not Karabiner or BTT.

They're both on the same version of 1P.

If 1P is unlocked but the application window is closed, it does not steal focus. In 1P, I've tried selecting different options in the side bar, putting the cursor in and out of the Search field, etc. to try and eliminate specific 1P starting conditions).

Here's an MP4 if you're interested in the timing of the frequency. Note there's a period about halfway through where it changes very quickly back and forth to 1P. Each time 1P gains focus, I click back in the app (Chrome in this case). 1P is active at the start because it gained focus while I was starting the recording in SnagIt.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough for me to take a test some, take a video, and post this. 😉

When it does happen, there is nothing touching the keyboard, touchpad, or mouse.

1Password Version: 8.10.1 (81001019)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @ethomp

It sounds like there is indeed some sort of communication trying to be established. Can you try the following. You mentioned Chrome it might be that it updated. if you've not give it a full quit and check for updates it might shake the cobwebs free.

1. Turn off - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    2. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then disable Integrate with 1Password app.
    3. Quit the browser completely! A full quit, not a close or minimize to the dock.
    4. Quit 1Password. While looking at the main window (locked or unlocked)
      • Press Command and Q 1Password should lock and close.
    5. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    6. Turn On - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    7. Open your browser.
    8. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then enable Integrate with 1Password app.
This discussion has been closed.