How do I import a .1pif backup into 1Password 8?

Options
jcoffman
jcoffman
Community Member

I have a 1pif-formatted export from Bitwarden using the converter utility that's referred to within these forums. I cannot find ANYWHERE, whether the web interface or the desktop app, that will allow me to import that file. There is no import option that I can locate in the desktop app, and if I look on the web, it wants a CSV file - which the converter utility will not provide for a Bitwarden export.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Referrer: forum-search:1pif import

Comments

• jcoffman
    jcoffman
    Community Member
    Options

The fix I found so far is to install 1Password 7, which does have a 1pif import feature. This very much needs to be added to 1Password 8.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2021
    Options

I just discovered this today, while trying to help someone converter from Keepass2.

It appears that neither 1Password 8, nor 1Password.com, will import 1PIF files.

I'm hoping this will be implemented soon (otherwise, the converter suite has become essentially obsolete).

• Hi folks!

@jcoffman the fix you discovered is likely the most efficient path right now - and let us know if we can be of any help from here!

@MrC the import functionality of 1Password 8 isn't fully built out yet - but your contributions have of course been invaluable and we'll be happy to talk with you about how import and conversion from various formats can work when we're a little further along. Sorry it took us a little while to reply here!

• FrankBreech
    FrankBreech
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah guys... this is a hokey janky workaround. I'll try it to see if I'm going to stay with 1PW8 (from bitwarden; thanks MrC for the suite btw).

I have to say I love the responsiveness of the 1PW staff on these forums. Well done.

• Thanks for the kind words @FrankBreech! Be sure to get in touch if you need anything in the future. :smile:

Jack

• FrankBreech
    FrankBreech
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah I'm sticking with 1PW; your forums are superb. 1PW looks much better, performs (as far as i can tell) just as good as BW, and I'm satisfied. Thanks for the great product!

• Hi @FrankBreech, thanks for the kind words here - and we'll keep putting in our best to make the product better every day. We're very happy to have you with us!

• holle
    holle
    Community Member
    Options

Do I see it correctly that also several months later customers have to go through the cumbersome process of installing 1Password 7 just to be able to import the 1pif format?

• Hello @holle,

I apologize for the late reply.

You are correct. Importing .1pif formatted files is available through 1Password 7 (Windows or Mac):

Import a 1Password Interchange Format (.1pif) File

When exporting/importing with 1Password 8, you can use the .1PUX (or .CSV) format:

Import a 1Password Unencrypted Export (.1pux) File

Thanks for your message and let us know you need further assistance!

• Jomoto
    Jomoto
    Community Member
    Options

I just found this thread... did I get this straight? 1PW8 was released with a new import format and can't import from 1PW7?!!!

Is that how new releases are supposed to go? only partially functional?

• Hello @Jomoto,

Thanks for your message. As noted, 1Password 8 does not have the ability to import 1PIF, but does include the ability to import CSV as well as the1PUX format. With 1Password 7 the ability to export is available with the following options - 1PIF/CSV/TXT - as noted in this guide: How to export data from 1Password 7.

If you could let us know some additional details about if you are using a 1Password account, what version of 1Password you are currently using, and what you are trying to accomplish, we'd be happy to help with the next best steps.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• Jomoto
    Jomoto
    Community Member
    Options

Well, thank you, Mike, and kudos for your kindly and courteous reply. Wish now I had been as kindly and courteous - guess I was still “hot under the collar” with frustration. FYI I'm using 1PW 8 and my wife hasn’t upgraded from 1PW 7 (yet). I’m leery of using exchange formats that have low security. I presume 1PIF is a secure format, and the other 1PW7 export options aren’t. Seems reasonable to complain that version 8 was released without the ability to import in the most obvious export format of release 7, but I’ll make do. 1PW is an app we rely on daily.

My wife and I found another method, not very convenient tho, to exchange a password entry. When she upgrades, we'll be back on track.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Jomoto

I presume 1PIF

1PIF is unencrypted, so not secure.

• Thanks for stepping in here, @MrC. 👍

@Jomoto, you're most welcome - I appreciate the kind words! As your wife works through the upgrade process, please let us know if you run into any troubles. We'll be happy to help!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Any hope of importing 1pif files yet?

• Hello @Peter_Wang,

As mentioned above, 1Password 7 does support 1PIF importing.

If you'd like to install this version you'll need to uninstall version 8 first. Once you've imported that 1PIF data to your 1Password.com account, you can then update back to 1Password 8 and re-export you data to a currently supported format, 1PUX or .csv: How to export your data from the 1Password app

I don't have any news to share and can't make any promises, but I've let the team know that the ability to import 1PIF is something you'd like to see implemented. Thanks for letting us know!

ref: 31276252

This discussion has been closed.