Use of multiple family accounts on same windows 11 machine using windows app and browser extension

Options
jacobh
jacobh
Community Member

I have a family subscription and both myself and my partner have separate accounts within/under the family account. Generally we do not share machines however would like to be able to sign into our own account when occasionally using each others machines. I have noticed this seems to be a bit of a hassle at the moment as there does not seem to be a way to add another account within the same family i.e it seems to be only one account per family can be active within the windows app at any one time.

When trying to add another account the app advises: "You can sign in to only one "family account name" at a time. You''ll need to sign out of "current account email" before you can sign into this account.

I don't know what the default behaviour for adding another account (that isn't a family account) is as I have none to test with but I will list my preference for this my use case:
When you add another family account to the same app it should be a selectable option saved so you don't have to log out of the currently used account (really annoying as the secret key has to be input every time). You could then select to switch over to that other account with just the password. My preference is that only one account is active at a time so the browser extension only autofills from one account. As I said I do not know current behaviour of multiple accounts but maybe multiple accounts active or one at a time could be an options available via settings.

Open to feedback if I am missing something. Is this already how non family accounts work? is it just functionality that does not work for family subscriptions...? If so consider this a request to bring family accounts to feature parity with non family accounts.

Cheers.

PS plz fix fastmail masked mail integration to actually function like password generator :) Yes I will add my voice to the other threads. :)

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: Windows 11 Home 10.0.22621
Browser:_ Brave 1.48.171

Comments

• jacobh
    jacobh
    Community Member
    Options

I also cannot get the browser extension to work at all after signing out of my account in the windows app and into my partners account. When I click on the extension it is signed out with a button that says: "Open 1Password" Clicking it does nothing. Opening the app and clicking it does nothing. If I sign out of my partners account and back into mine it works fine. I cannot find an option to sign into my partners account in the extension.

I have tried:
    Restarting 1password.
    Restarting browser.
    Disabling and reenabling 1password extension.
    Restarting computer.

• Hello @jacobh,

Thanks for your messages. You are able to add multiple 1Password accounts to the app: How to use multiple accounts

As mentioned, it's not possible to add two or more accounts from the same family account, to the app. Signing out of the app and back into the other account is best option here.

With regard to your troubles with 1Password in the browser, the 1Password 8 for Windows shares the account lock stat with the extension. If you first disable app integration and then sign into 1Password in the browser with the other account as mentioned, does this work as expected:
    1. Open your browser, right-click the 1Password icon in the address bar, and choose Settings.
    1. Under the General heading, enable Integrate with 1Password app as needed.

In cases where customers would like to sometimes use the same device with their own 1Password account, we suggest signing into a separate profile on the device, and installing/signing into 1Password there.

I hope this information helps, but if you need further assistance, just let us know!

This discussion has been closed.