1Password prompting to fill in my "Master" PW each time (Mac Chrome browser)

Options
ProspectiveUser
ProspectiveUser
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Mac

Hey all, trying to get some clarification here. I am testing out 1Password as I am looking to switch from using LastPass. The import of previous passwords and everything went fine, so I have no complaints there. I'm glad it was so easy. What hasn't been as easy is getting it to stay unlocked.

So every time I "quit" my browser (Brave and Chrome both) and reopen it later, I have to re-enter my 1Password account password. Being that it's my Master Password, it is quite long and detailed and a bit of a pain to type in. And it's doing it EVERY SINGLE TIME I close the browser. Same for the included Mac App.

I figure there must be a way around this in the settings somewhere, but I looked through there and don't see it. Searches have also come up empty. Lastpass has an option to keep things enabled and only require password re-entering once every 30 days. Am I missing it somewhere or is this seriously not an option here? Because if it's not, there's no way I'm switching. It is completely inconvenient.

Thank you for any help! I contacted support but they haven't responded to me.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.7
OS Version: 12.6
Browser:_ Brave/Chrome

Comments

• Hey there @ProspectiveUser

If the main 1Password app is running on your Mac (even only in the menu bar), then the browser extensions will lock and unlock at the same time as the app. This is called Shared Lock State.

If you quit 1Password and it's not set to stay in the menu bar, then it will lock, meaning you'd need to unlock it again next time. Try this:

1. Open and unlock the main 1Password app.
    2. Click the 1Password menu (next to the  Apple menu) > Settings...
    3. On the General tab, make sure that "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is turned on.

That way, even if you quit 1Password from the 1Password menu or by pressing ⌘Q, it'll stay in the menu bar and your usual Auto-Lock settings will apply.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help.

— Grey

• ProspectiveUser
    ProspectiveUser
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I have set the 1Password App to stay in my menu bar as directed. In the Auto-Lock Settings for the Mac app I have unchecked "Lock on sleep, screensaver, or switching users" and set it to lock after the computer idle is "Never."

On the separate settings for the in-browser application I have completely unchecked the "Automatically lock 1Password." I then quit and reopened my browser (multiple times) and the in-browser application is, you guessed it, locked and requesting my password. The separate application is still opened in the menu bar and on the bottom bar of my computer. The in-browser app is pinned in the browser. So this "Shared Lock State" doesn't seem to be working.

• Hi @ProspectiveUser,

Thanks for these additional details. You mentioned changing some lock settings for the 1Password browser extension, it sounds like integration might not be enabled between the app and browser extension. I'd like to ask you to check that the follow settings are enabled, first in the browser extension:

And then in the 1Password 8 Mac app settings:

Give those a look and let me know what you find!

• ProspectiveUser
    ProspectiveUser
    Community Member
    Options

Both are enabled as they are supposed to be. I have toggled both of those settings at the request of support to "reset" the connection. I've sent them a screen recording of it happening, all of my settings, as well as console and diagnostics reports. No solution yet.

• Thanks for the quick reply, @ProspectiveUser! Apologies, I missed that bit about you already having a conversation with the team. If possible, could you share your ticket number here? It'll be in a format like this: [#ABC-00000-000]. We can use it to connect your conversations and avoid asking you to repeat any steps. 🙂

• ProspectiveUser
    ProspectiveUser
    Community Member
    Options

No worries. When I posted initially nobody had responded to me yet through email. Support Ticket is #FXF-65984-313

• Thanks @ProspectiveUser, I can confirm we've received your last reply along with those additional files. I'll close this thread to avoid any confusion but I've shared it with the team so we're all on the same page. 👍

You're always welcome in the 1Password Support Community if you have any questions in the future! 😊

ref: FXF-65984-313

This discussion has been closed.