1Password CLI not working on Windows 11

volcom45
volcom45
Community Member
edited February 2023 in CLI

I've tried manually installing the latest version of CLI for Windows and using the Power Shell instructions. I've checked the CLI option in Developer settings in 1Password 8 for Windows. No matter what in Command Prompt or Powershell, op --version works fine, and op signin brings up my Windows Hello fingerprint to authenticate, but then immediately just goes back to the command prompt. I'm never shown the accounts to choose from.
Z:>op signin

Z:>
I also tried the following and get this:
Z:>op vault ls --account agilebits.1password.com
[ERROR] 2023/02/15 13:27:21 found no accounts for filter "agilebits.1password.com"
There must be something really silly here that I'm missing, but can anyone help me get this going? Really want to see it work. I even tried the last 4 older versions of the CLI to see if it was a bug with the latest version and my Windows 11 build, but no luck.
Thanks,

UPDATE: Apparently it is working, even though I was never given the accounts to choose from, maybe cause I only have 1. I've just tried a few other commands out like "op item list --vault Personal" and was given my whole list. I guess I was originally hoping that via this op command, I'd be able to summon an SSH connection to some of my work servers and have the password auto filled. Maybe that is beyond the capabilities of this current command line integration? If there is a way to do that, I'd love it if someone would tell me how. I want to make much stricter passwords but have been manually been typing in because it's too much work to launch 1Password, find said login, copy password, then go back to command line or linux ubuntu for Windows, and paste it each time.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11 Version 22H2 (OS Build 22623.1255)
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @volcom45:

Great question! 1Password CLI is great at quickly accessing secrets or performing more programmatic actions, but if you're looking to SSH into servers, have you given 1Password SSH Agent a look? SSH agent

Let me know!

Jack

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

Hey @Jack.P_1P
    I setup the SSH agent on my macbook air this morning and generated a new SSH Key with it, which I then used to SSH into one of my work servers. I successfully used the one 1Password made, but now is there a quick way to SSH to this server with no password or having 1Password enter the password for me? Or how would I quickly do it by accessing secrets with CLI? I just want the quickest way to SSH to a server and have a very secure password entered for me that I don't have to type. :) What are my best options? So far, it seems like Quick access and copying the password from a shell, is my best but can I do better? I've made a login to said server and used the SSH command as website so you can launch into a shell, but it doesn't pass along the password.
    Thanks for any tips/advice to save me some time and help me be more secure!

• Hey @volcom45:

When you're using SSH keys, you don't need a password for your server. Are you looking to do something like SSH to a server, then perform a sudo action? Let me know!

Jack

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P Haha, shows how ignorant I am with SSH even though I use it every time I work from home. I just want to be able to connect to my work server that I work off of, without having to type a password every time. I type one of my weaker passwords because I don't want to have to type a complicated one so it would be more secure and easier at the same time. I don't need to run a sudo action, just connect as my username. Is there an easy way to do this or a tutorial somewhere? :) Thanks.

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P Any further help on this? ;)

• Hi @volcom45:

Sorry about missing this until now. If you're able to add SSH keys to your server, then adding the public key to the authorized_keys file in your home folder would be your best bet. It should look a little like this.

Let me know how you get on with that.

Jack

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P Cool, thanks! Appreciate it. Will give it a shot.

• You're very welcome!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.