Shortcut Input field uses wrong keyboard layout and does not allow Cmd+# as a keyboard shortcut

Options

I use 1Password in Firefox on Mac using the browser extension. The default keyboard shortcut for filling out a password form (Cmd+#) never worked in the browser. I tried to set it manually, but the input field in the extension settings stays blank when I try to input Cmd+#. When I enter a shotcut like Cmd+Z, it becomes obvious that the input field assumes a wrong keyboard layout (as it outputs Cmd+Y instead). Firefox itself seems to assume the correct keyboard layout (Cmd+Z works as expected, for example).

I don't know if these problems are connected. The problem I actually want to solve is using the same shortcut for the browser extension as for the OS level application (Cmd+#), as I had on my previous Mac without any manual configuration.

1Password Version: 7.9.9 (70909001)
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: MacOS 13.0
Browser:_ Firefox 109.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:keyboard layout

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @janop!

Do you have Cmd+# set up as the keyboard for filling in the settings of the 1Password 7 app? I'm on macOS 13.2, and I'm unable to do it. Cmd+# is actually Cmd+shift+3 on my keyboard. What kind of keyboard are you using? And what specifically happens when you try to invoke Cmd+# to fill?

Because the new extension and app are separate entities, they cannot be configured to use the same keyboard shortcuts. The main problem here is that the keyboard shortcut that you use to fill with the app does not work in Firefox. The default keyboard shortcut for filling with 1Password 7 is Cmd+\ and that fills fine for me in Firefox. If you change the shortcut for filling in 1Password 7 to Cmd+\, does that fill for you?

Lastly, I noticed that you said you were using Firefox 109. That's an older version of Firefox. Having a pending update in the browser can cause filling from 1Password to fail. Can you update Firefox to its latest release (version 110.0.1)?

Here's how to update Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-release

After that, please test the keyboard shortcuts again and let us know what you find.

• janop
    janop
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hey @Joy_1P, thanks for your reply.

Do you have Cmd+# set up as the keyboard for filling in the settings of the 1Password 7 app?

Yes, it has been set up like this from the beginning with. So on my older MacBook.

Cmd+# is actually Cmd+shift+3 on my keyboard. What kind of keyboard are you using? And what specifically happens when you try to invoke Cmd+# to fill?

I use a German keyboard. When I invoke Cmd+# and I'm not in the browser, the 1Password system tray menu opens with suggestions for the current app. When I invoke Cmd+# in the browser, nothing happens.

Because the new extension and app are separate entities, they cannot be configured to use the same keyboard shortcuts. The main problem here is that the keyboard shortcut that you use to fill with the app does not work in Firefox. The default keyboard shortcut for filling with 1Password 7 is Cmd+\ and that fills fine for me in Firefox. If you change the shortcut for filling in 1Password 7 to Cmd+\, does that fill for you?

I am able to set up Cmd+\ in Firefox, which is actually Cmd+Option+Shift+7 on my keyboard. However, that one still doesn't do anything.

I am however able to set Cmd+Shift+L. This one does work.

The same is true for Firefox 110.0.1 btw.

Maybe I'll have to get used to using a custom three keys, one of them beeing an English language letter (as Cmd+ all seem to be used by Firefox).

Umlauts (Cmd+{ä,ö,ü}) don't work as shortcuts as well, btw., and I'm pretty sure Firefox doesn't use them for something.

However, I think it's still worth fixing that the default keyboard shortcut doesn't work.

This discussion has been closed.