Windows switch user causes 1Password app to hang for several minutes

Options
zedmanau
zedmanau
Community Member

When I have the 1Password app open in my account, and then switch to a different user account (such as via the CTRL+ALT+DEL menu), then switch back to my account, the 1Password app is frozen and non-responsive.

It eventually recovers if I wait long enough. I tested it a few times and the recovery time was not consistent (ranging from 1 minute 40 seconds to 3 minutes).

Even though the app is frozen, I can unlock the browser extension and access my vault from there. The issue seems to be just with the Windows app.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hello @zedmanau,

Thanks for your report. I've done some testing with the app Auto-Lock feature disabled and have been unable to replicate the performance issues you've mentioned after user-switching.

Could you please provide a detailed list of steps you are taking along with any settings with 1Password 8 for Windows so we can attempt to reproduce this behaviour?

Looking forward to your reply.

• zedmanau
    zedmanau
    Community Member
    Options

As mentioned in my original post, the steps are:

1. Log in to Windows and run the 1Password Windows app
    2. Log in to 1Password
    3. CTRL + ALT + DELETE (or use the Start Menu) to switch user and log in as another user
    4. Switch user again back to my account
    5. Click on vault items in the 1Password Windows app and notice it is not responding

Most of the settings are defaults, but I cannot remember what I changed.

Is there a way to export the app configuration (without exporting anything private)?

• Hello @zedmanau,

Thanks for getting back to me. The settings are not as important here. I was using default settings as well and had only disabled Auto-lock to ensure 1Password was still running on the account after user-switching between the accounts.

I'll get started by filing this issue for the development team. In the meantime, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/138083/windows-switch-user-causes-1password-app-to-hang-for-several-minutes
    • Your forum username: zedmanau

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks!

ref: dev/core/core#20201

• zedmanau
    zedmanau
    Community Member
    Options

Done... the support ID number is [#GXP-27529-498].

I reproduced the issue one more time and included timestamps in my email, though it looked like nothing was logged while the 1Password app was frozen.

• ag_mike_d
    edited February 2023
    Options

Thanks, @zedmanau!

ref: GXP-27529-498

• zedmanau
    zedmanau
    Community Member
    Options

Just in case anyone else finds this thread looking for an answer, here is an update.

I have been working with support and it appears that installing NVIDIA drivers (via NVIDIA GeForce Experience) and having Use Hardware Acceleration turned on in the 1Password settings seems to be causing the issue.

• Thanks so much for the update here, @zedmanau! We appreciate you passing this message along.

Should anyone else run into troubles, please let us know so we can pass details along to the Development team.

ref: dev/core/core#20201

This discussion has been closed.