I have lost my master password. Face and thumb ID aren’t working. Help!

sarapashin
sarapashin
Community Member

I have 1Password7 on iPad (with thumb print recognition) and iPhone (with Face ID). Several months ago after 3 tries with thumb print on iPad I was locked out and Password was requesting Master password. I’ve used 1Password so long, I have no idea where master password is. Last few months I was relying on 1Password on my phone with face recognition but all of a sudden today 1Password is not offering face recognition and wants master password. What do I do? I’m panicked. I used 1Password for everything and now can’t get in. What do I do?

1Password Version: 1password7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Google
Referrer: forum-search:I have lost my master password. Face and thumb ID aren’t working. Help!

Comments

• Hello @sarapashin! 👋

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with unlocking 1Password. I know how important it is to be able to access your 1Password data and we're here to help.

Your account password is the secret needed to unlock the 1Password app and decrypt your data locally on your device. It is never transmitted to us and we cannot reset it for you. My first suggestion is to try older passwords. If that doesn't work, here is a guide on what might help if you have forgotten your account password: If you forgot your account password or you can't unlock 1Password

If that doesn't work then I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can assist further. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place.

-Dave

• sarapashin
    sarapashin
    Community Member

Dave, thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. As a matter of fact I took a stab at an old password and it worked! Problem solved! Except I should probably now change the old password to a more secure new one, but at least I got in. Thank you for your reply!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@sarapashin

Now would be a great time to print out your Emergency Kit, write your Master Password on the page, and store it securely somewhere. This will help you avoid the fright that can turn one’s hair white.

• Sound advice MrC.

• sarapashin
    sarapashin
    Community Member

MrC. What a great idea. I only noticed Emergency Kit when I was scrambling to find my password. Assumed it was for something like this but didn’t pay any attention. I’ll fill it out and print it now. Thank you.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023

That's excellent news. Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.