Update Credentials with Fastmail

Hi, I'd like to know if this behavior is normal.

I'm trying out the FastMail integration and I ran into a behavior that to me is weird.

Here's an example:

I have an account at Domino's, they love to spam me, so I figured I'd start there. The account was with my original normal e-mail, and I updated it with an alias from Fastmail using the browser UI. So when I clicked the email field on their website, the suggestion at the bottom of the email field suggested creating an anonymous email. Once I clicked the button the 1Password window showed up to update the credentials. There's only one problem.

The credential now has both emails, the old one is saved at the default username field, and there is one new field named email, with the FastMail alias. Do I need to manually fix this for each website I update?

Also during that edit window where you check the changes before confirming, It's impossible to delete the old username field (probably because it is a default field).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @loggor, I was able to reproduce what you're seeing there. We don't remove or delete any of your data, so that's the main reason why your username is still present. Additionally, the Fastmail alias is saved into its own unique field and cannot be saved to a username field. We keep the Fastmail and username fields separate for structural integrity.

If you wish to see only the Fastmail alias in the login, you can edit the login to do that. Instead of trying to delete the username field, you just need to delete the username value: https://share.cleanshot.com/dpswct4r.

Make sure to save the changes and then the result would be this: https://share.cleanshot.com/cjKvyBkX

All that said, it's not necessary to edit and delete the username if you add a Fastmail alias to a login. On your websites, 1Password will only suggest the Fastmail alias. Your old username would not appear.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member

Hi @Joy_1P, but for me, it's suggesting the old email instead of fastmail.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023

@loggor

Remove the username field or blank it out if it's not removable. I'd record the original email in the note section maybe in another customer field below the login details. I talked with a learned colleague who indicated that the username filed would fill first prior to the Fastmail email. By removing the original it should fill the new Fastmail address.

If you'd like to test it out first, you should be able to duplicate the entry and give it a try. :)

ref: PB-31391827

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_tommy, it works if I manually clear the username field. Can this be automatic when the item is updated? Or make it more user-friendly... I don't need to know the old e-mail, but if it's the case, put it on history like a password.

Or maybe just use the email field prior to the username. Or put a warning to the rule that is applied to those fields when you set them up. Just suggestions.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023

@loggor

I've filed a feature request for that type of ability on your behalf. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier. I agree with like a history. I included that in my request. Thinking alike, we are. ;)

This discussion has been closed.