To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I can't import passwords from LastPass plus other errors

Options
Paddler72
Paddler72
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Memberships

I'm having a lot of problems installing 1Password and getting it up and running. I followed the instructions to use the app to import passwords from LastPass but it failed twice. I also got a weird error message at the time I started my account. I also saved the diagnostics from the failed import but there was no indication of where to send it, no email address or link of any kind. Signing up for this is far more convoluted and difficult than was LastPass. The odd error message is below.

Couldn‘t subscribe. Click Billing in the sidebar to set up your subscription.

ClientError: The request failed unexpectedly. Check your Internet connection and try again.

Session: XQPL26G76FBKPM2MV6MMJXFOOI

Time: 2023-02-15T01:21:56.098Z

1Password Version: 8.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Firefox latest
Referrer: forum-search:Can't import passwords from LastPass

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

The error message indicates some kind of connection issue with connecting to the 1Password web servers/service. Make sure your Firewall/Antivirus software doesn't intercept and interfere with internet connections. Windows Defender that comes with Windows works flawless. If in doubt, uninstall 3rd party Antivirus software and just use Defender.

You should do the following workflow to get up and running with 1Password:

1. sign up on the 1Password website and create a 14 day trial account
    2. install the 1Password desktop app and sign in to your freshly created account. You should see the default vault and default items created at account creation to make sure the app is working properly.
    3. Use the Lastpass import functionality from the desktop app
  • Paddler72
    Paddler72
    Community Member
    Options

Very unhelpful. I did all those things, in that order. Got the first error when signing up. Used the import functionality which failed every time.

• krischik
    krischik
    Community Member
    Options

The import function failed for me as well. 1st time because 2FA need to be switched off. Quite the security risk. 2nd Time only the folder where imported as safes. now I have approximately 200 empty safes and you need to copy paste the safe name to delete them again. Moving from Keeper to Lastpass was easier back in the day.

• Paddler72
    Paddler72
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I finally gave up and deleted my account for the time being. If there is any reasonable way to get started on this without unexplained and unhelpful errors I may try it again but I spent the better part of an afternoon trying to get this thing working with no luck at all.

• krepno
    krepno
    Community Member
    Options

I also needed to disable 2fa. After that it still failed and the diagnostic logs showed this error

[1P:op-import-export\src\importer\last_pass.rs:1733] export failed: failed to convert data to UTF8: could not convert CESU-8 data to UTF-8 (field: 'password', at: 'account')\nERROR

• Hey folks,

Please email my colleagues. They're ready to help you resolve the troubles as quickly as possible. I do not have access log details for example. They'll be able to better determine where the issue is. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

• krischik
    krischik
    Community Member
    Options

Import using the Lastpass and 1Password web-interface worked. A bit of a pain as the attachments are not automatically migrated. Not perfect but good enough.

Note that 1Password staff suggested that the web-interfaces work best and not to use extension or stand alone apps if you run into trouble.

• Thanks krischik Apologies for the trouble along the journey.

This discussion has been closed.