1Password 8 Mac app quietly failing to Sync

Options
VeryAnnoyed
VeryAnnoyed
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Mac

Over the past week I have been spring cleaning my passwords. With years of use that's 600+ items. About 2 days ago the macOS app, WITHOUT ANY WARNING OR INDICATION IN THE UI, stopped syncing. I can see when it happened as the application logs show ERROR entries about syncing. At a rough estimate I've now got 150 odd vault entries that have diverged. This includes some edits via the browser extension, where passwords have been updated but not any associated fields for that particular vault item as I was using the macOS app for those. I have also made edits using the iOS app.

The results are a mess, the app knows there's a fault but hasn't raised it. This is not good for anyone who thinks they can trust the software.

I have exhausted the online help - which ends with rebooting devices - so would like to know what the next steps should be.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.0 (81000055)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6.3
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @VeryAnnoyed,

I'm sorry to hear your data isn't appearing across your devices as expected. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/138125/1password-8-mac-app-quietly-failing-to-sync#latest
    • Your forum username: VeryAnnoyed

If you're using 1Password on any other devices, does your data appear correctly there? It might also help to know how this data compares to what you can see when signing in to 1Password.com in your browser. Feel free to include these details in your email.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can connect your conversations. Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you and finding some solutions!

• VeryAnnoyed
    VeryAnnoyed
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @andrew.l_1P,

Thanks for your post. I have followed the instructions and sent the diagnostic report. The support ID number is [#MLV-98417-587].

In answer to your questions:

• On other devices my data appears to be correctly synced, but it does not show more recent changes I have made in the macOS app. For instance a newly iOS created vault item has shown up in the browser plugin but not the macOS app.
    • The data on 1Password.com does not reflect the changes I have made in the macOS app. It does show data modified and created on iOS and the browser plugin.

Other points to note:

• The diagnostic data shows a field that indicates there are 137 offline changes
    • A newly created vault does sync from the macOS app. However items copied to it loose history. There also seems to be no option to merge duplicated items in one vault back into the other.
  • BethHeffner
    BethHeffner
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

I am having the same issue. My private vault is not syncing with my ipad, iphone, laptop and web but with 1p7

• Thanks @VeryAnnoyed,

I can confirm we've received your email and it looks like someone from the team has already replied so keep an eye out for that. I'll share your additional information here with them but to avoid any confusion I suggest continuing the conversation there. 🙂

ref: MLV-98417-587

@BethHeffner,

Likewise it seems you've already started a conversation with the team via email. I'll share this post with them but to avoid any confusion I'd encourage keeping the conversation to the existing email thread. Thanks!

ref: WVR-63125-524

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Similar issue with Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1 - 1Password 8 will not load proper password into T-Mobile that I changed in January 2023. I can manually past the correct password in from the 1Password 8 program and all is good. I checked the password in the Firefox Plugin, the upper menu bar icon, my iPhone, iPad and online account and they all have the old password. Only the 1P Password 8 program has the new password and it does not want to sync up with anyone. I assume I should report this via e-mail?

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

If you go down to "Recently Deleted", you may see that 1P is not "connected". This issue has happened to me twice in the last week. No idea why 1P8 just gave up and got "disconnected". When I went to the "Accounts" menu, then "Family", I saw "log out", not "log in" (as you would expect if 1P8 were disconnected). Apparently 1P8 didn't understand it was disconnected?

This 1P8 disconnect issue caused me to get totally locked out of an account (day three, still not back in!) since 1P8 had "disconnected" and the backup codes the presented me when I was upgrading 2FA didn't get synced/saved in 1P8. Thus, when I went back to the site, I was locked out. Great!

:(

• @Mork

Let's look into that sync trouble from your other conversation. You should find the information is kept locally on the device. Assuming you have access to it. You should be able to unlock and access any details. But let's work on that sync trouble. We look forward to that email.

• @doctormo

Yes please email us, if you like. It could be a configuration on your device. Do you see a Primary vault on any of your devices? It would not be present in 1Password 8. So if you're using 1Password 7 on the other devices that might explain the situation. If you'd like help in looking into this email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I also sent an email and just received a reply from Josephine McQuiggin looking for some diagnostic reports. I have a main vault and a vault for my wife. 1P versions are as follows:
    My Mac - v8.10.0
    My iPhone - v8.10.0
    My iPad - v8.10.0
    Wife Macbook - v7.9.9
    Wife iPad - v7.10.2
    Wife iPhone - not available as I write this, probably same as iPad.
    I usually do not update my wife's stuff until I have used for a while as she does not appreciate change. I felt v8 was a big change for her so no hurry to change it.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023
    Options

@doctormo

Please follow up with my colleague. I do not have access to device/account specifics here in the community. With you having an on going communication that would be best.

• VeryAnnoyed
    VeryAnnoyed
    Community Member
    Options

As I'm no further here's an update on the problem original posting.

I have heard from support but they're just recommending copying and pasting items into a new vault, emptying the original vault, and getting it to start syncing again. At which point I'm supposed to copy the items back into the original vault.

So far there's been no recognition of:

• The fact that the UI does not alert you to the problem
    • The diverged state of the vault items histories which need merging
    • The lost item history when you move items between vaults
  • @VeryAnnoyed

Please continue to work with my colleagues over email, they'll send you another reply as soon as possible. To prevent having the same conversation in two different places I'm closing this thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: MLV-98417-587

This discussion has been closed.