1Password 8 - Quick Access Mac, more fields

Options
rafaud
rafaud
Community Member

I recently upgraded to newest version and discovered Quick Access, and I must say I love it.

But I would love to see all fields from each Item being available there. For example since I have some SSH keys passphrases saved in Items with corresponding server login information, those passphrasess are located in additional fields, which are not accessible from Quick Access.

Some other fields like optional email addresses would be super useful too.

I saw similar thread in 'Windows' part of the community, but couldn't find one in 'Mac', so here I am.

Comments

• Hi @rafaud, first - it's great to know that you're loving Quick Access! 😃

To your request:

I would love to see all fields from each Item being available there. For example since I have some SSH keys passphrases saved in Items with corresponding server login information, those passphrasess are located in additional fields, which are not accessible from Quick Access.

I'm happy to pass this on to our developers, and have now done so. Thanks for letting us know how you think we can improve on this aspect of the experience!

ref: IDEA-I-969

• jjohnston
    jjohnston
    Community Member
    Options

I think this is a great feature suggestion!

I’d refine the feature request a little. I’d like it if the user could specify which additional items show up on quick access (rather than showing all of them). Username and password alone work for 99% of the cases, but having the ability to select a few others in those remaining 1% of cases would be fantastic.

• rafaud
    rafaud
    Community Member
    Options

Oh yes, choosing which fields are shown in quick access would be even better than showing all of them. Great idea.

• natebeaty
    natebeaty
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

+1 on having more fields showing in quick access. I have so many entries that are not just usernames + passwords that I use all the time.

I'm currently View Details or Open in Window as a workaround, but it has issues:

1. There's no feedback when you hit enter on a field that you've copied it, I thought it wasn't working at all for a while until I realized it was actually copying to clipboard
    2. Keyboard shortcut to open item in 1pwd (cmd-shift-o) don't work in details window, only cmd-w to close the window — you can also cmd-o to open a duplicate of the details window which is weird
    3. Server entries show username, password, URL shortcuts in quick access when not populated for some reason, which don't do anything:

For this use case, the old 1pwd mini was so much more efficient. Cmd-alt-\, type to search, arrow down to match (if the top result isn't what you want — and you could quickly see all fields related to an entry as you arrow down), arrow-right to get to all fields, arrow down to what you want and hit enter. Feedback was shown that item was copied & window closed. You could also cmd-e and quickly make an edit on an entry which was super handy. It was a very streamlined, keyboard-centric way to retrieve & update 1pwd info. Quick access is a regression in several ways.

I saw the 1pwd mini dev say they think the new setup is better, but I'm having a really hard time getting the same speed & usefulness out of 1pwd 8 so far. It feels very geared towards basic logins.

• rafaud
    rafaud
    Community Member
    Options

It feels very geared towards basic logins.

That's also a feeling I got from using it. The problem is, 90% of the time basic logins are used on websites, and with extension that autofills those details for you, it's kind of useless. It's nice when you hit that one odd website that doesn't autofill for some reason, but that's it.

• jonathancohlmeyer
    jonathancohlmeyer
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded to 1Password 8, I like the new keyboard shortcuts in the quick access but am sad to see that I can no longer access additional fields from quick access as I could in 1Password 7. This breaks my workflows, where this worked quite well with 1Password 7.

In addition the SSH Key integration does not seem to work if you store the SSH Passphrase in another field along with the rest of the server connect info.

• Hey @jonathancohlmeyer:

Thanks for your feedback on this! I've added you to our internal discussion that Peter mentioned above. Just to make sure, if 1Password is acting as your SSH agent, you won't need to enter a passphrase to use your SSH key. Have you followed the setup guide here? https://developer.1password.com/docs/ssh/

@natebeaty / @jjohnston:

I've added you both to the discussion Peter mentioned as well. Thanks!

Jack

• rafaud
    rafaud
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P I'm using 1P as ssh agent and it works stellar, problem arises when I need to ssh into one machine (it works perfectly) and then hop from it into different one (or push/pull something from git with use of the key). In that case I need to use passphrase, and I need to go around to get it and can't use Quick Access for it.

Unless I'm missing something I can't use 1P as SSH agent in that case.

• jonathancohlmeyer
    jonathancohlmeyer
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P this is interesting and would work well if you set up each password for the server as a different entry in 1Password. However, I like to keep all the passwords for one server in one entry, so finding passwords for different accounts on the server or server SSH keys is not possible with quick access in 1Password 8. I have started to use Cmd+O to open the entry and get the passwords I need that way from the quick access.

• byndpass
    byndpass
    Community Member
    Options

Just upgraded and was really bummed to find out we can't access additional fields in Quick Access anymore. It's one of my most used features—quickly pull up additional fields to copy from logins, secure notes, etc. without having to enter the full app. Please restore this functionality.

• Hey @byndpass:

Thanks for your feedback on this. I've added you to the issue Peter mentioned above! 🙂

@rafaud:

You can use SSH agent forwarding to accomplish this! While we don't have a guide on it, GitHub has a guide on it available here: Using SSH agent forwarding - GitHub Docs

In addition to using ForwardAgent in your SSH config, you can also use ssh -A username@example.com to forward your SSH agent to the destination host, even if you haven't added a ForwardAgent option for that host. One important thing to note about forwarding your SSH keys, is that rather than authorizing individual processes as occurs on your local machine, once you've authorized the SSH key to be forwarded, any processes on the remote host will be able to access the SSH key.

Jack

• rafaud
    rafaud
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P That a really nice feature I didn't know of, will sure make use of it, thank you.

But update to Quick Access would still be very welcome.

• Thanks for your feedback @rafaud! 😄

Jack

• magamir
    magamir
    Community Member
    Options

I can just emphasize on what @byndpass said. I've also upgraded and now my flow of copying API Tokens (stored in custom fields) is really cumbersome because I can't use Quick Access for it. Please bring back a faster way of accessing custom fields!

• Hi @magamir,

I've added a proxy vote on your behalf to this request, thank you for taking the time to tell us it's important to you and sharing an example. Context really helps us advocate for these changes so I appreciate it. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-969

• murphomattic
    murphomattic
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to cast a vote, too! While developing Day One's upcoming web app, I'm copying end-to-end encryption tokens multiple times a day from 1P, and right now I have to open an item in a separate window to get to that field. I'd love to have the option to add a custom field to Quick Access.

Thanks!

• Hi @murphomattic,

Added! Thanks for sharing your use case as well. ❤️

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also missing the possibilty to use more fields than login / password in quick access. For this exact reason I mostly don't use it and prefer to use the app window to select fields and copy/paste manually.

• clovenguth
    clovenguth
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I moved back right away to 7 after seeing it was many steps now from menu bar to access quickly what I need. New design shouldn't make things take longer to do.

• actionscripted
    actionscripted
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

I'd like to cast my vote, also!

Giving users options for quick access / mini display instead of limiting access to things would be great. I need quick access to MFA or other secrets that aren't an email or password. Also, please, drop the "Copy" prefix on things it makes it way harder to quickly scan. Or maybe give it a little contrast against the secret type.

I've been using 1Password for almost 10 years (check my community profile) and the UX changes from 7 to 8 are super frustrating. I get consolidating clients/platforms and having a consistent experience but so much is either no longer possible or requires extra user effort to get working as it had previously. (Sorry for a rant, but I haven't hit the community to vent and it's been bugging me for ... a year or so?)

• Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great feedback here, I'll share these with our Product team for their consideration! If you have any additional examples of fields for which you'd use this feature, let me know and I'm happy to add them.

@actionscripted,

You mentioned MFA, are these one-time passwords stored within 1Password itself? If so, you should be able to copy them directly from Quick Access:

I see what you're saying about the "copy" text there as well and will record that. If you use this feature often, I recommend trying the keyboard shortcuts as they're always the same for each field. You can also use these before viewing these additional details in Quick Access, meaning as soon as an item is highlighted from searching, you can use command + C, for example, to copy the username.

If there's anything in particular you're finding creates friction while using 1Password 8, we're happy to take a look and explore possible workarounds! Feel free to start a fresh thread if it's unrelated or get in touch with us via email at support+forum@1password.com. 🙂

ref: PB-31214735
    ref: PB-31214810

• @Waterside

Thank you for adding your voice.

-Dave

ref: PB-31436226

This discussion has been closed.