Browser Extension not working

CPsyadmin
CPsyadmin
Community Member

I purchased 1password about 6 to 8 years ago through the Apple App Store. It’s always worked great and I’ve had no problem installing and using browser extensions for Chrome and Safari.

I received a new computer several months ago and have been slowly getting it “setup”. I used a time machine backup to get all my data on the disk.

My 1password app works fine however I am not able to use any browser extensions because my app is not tied to an “account” and there is no way to login using apple’s IDP with SSO.

Are App Store purchasers “sh*t out of luck”?

I was able to register an account online however none of my passwords are visible in the browser extension.

Also when registering an account it asked for payment information but allowed me to “skip” that part which didn’t make sense. From a user experience standpoint it was never clear to me if my account is a trial account or a free account and I am not sure how to “check”.

I don’t care to install 1password on “any” device… I just want to use it on my laptop.

Why can’t I use the browser extensions anymore? They used to work fine without the need to register a second account (since I have my iCloud account with transaction history purchasing 1password).

I paid about $80 for this app and find it a bit ridiculous that I’ve seemingly been locked out of the most important aspect of a password manager — a browser extension. Without a browser extension I mind as well just use GNU Pass which is free.

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023

@CPsyadmin

By skipping the payment that would mean that you are indeed in the trial phase. If you have a membership please try 1Password in the browser. It's likely you've got something like our classic extension installed from before. It is no longer in development. Please note for 1Password in the browser to function your data would need to be in the membership you created. It is not possible for it to interact with standalone vaults or 3rd party vaults from before 1Password 8.

Get to know 1Password in your browser

• CPsyadmin
    CPsyadmin
    Community Member

Great, what a waste of money.

• CPsyadmin
    CPsyadmin
    Community Member

This change shows that 1password clearly doesn’t care about the security of users who made app-store purchases.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023

@CPsyadmin

1Password in the browser is our latest extension and what we recommend you use. This extension requires a 1Password membership account and won't work with older standalone vaults. I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our dedicated support team can take a look at your previous purchase and see what options are available for your situation. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place.

Our classic extension is no longer in active development and missing modern features and enhancements, so we no longer recommend using it. However, if you purchased a 1Password license the 1Password classic extension is available. edit: See my post below: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/681367/#Comment_681367

-Dave

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member

@Dave_1P - that link to 1Password classing extension redirects to https://support.1password.com/kb/202303/ - which basically prevents from installing the classic extension and says the same all. I'm surprised you guys still didn't get your head around that there are people who are happy to pay subscription to support you, but they want and only want local vaults.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023

@Gregs

The classic extension is in the process of being deprecated. We’ve held onto it for as long as we felt we reasonably could. It was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers. It's important to note that the classic extension hasn't been updated since 2019 and we haven't recommended using it for quite some time.

You can find instructions on how to move to the modern extension (which isn't compatible with older standalone vaults and requires a 1Password account) here: The 1Password classic extension will stop working soon

1Password accounts are the future and they allow us to provide a more secure and much more stable experience for everyone. If you're interested, our founder wrote an essay about our decision to go all in on 1Password accounts: The future of local/standalone vaults — 1Password Support Community

-Dave

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member

@Dave_1P so are you saying that 1P7 license users will no longer have access to any browser extensions?? This is a slow death towards 1P8 which I am not keen on as I do not want to pay a subscription fee. I already paid for my license and taking away functionality is not acceptable.

• @DeeEye

1Password Classic was last updated in 2019. We’ve held on to it for as long as possible, but it was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers. The future for 1Password in the browser is our modern extension.

You mentioned that you have a license for 1Password 7, we're currently offering big discounts on 1Password memberships to users who have been using our licensed version of 1Password. It you're interested then send in an email to support+tradein@1password.com so that our team can take a look at your license and help you migrate.

-Dave

• JonKay
    JonKay
    Community Member
    edited April 2023

@DeeEye

I feel you, I really do but, I even mirrored your sentiment back when Safari stopped working with 1Password 6 a few years ago. I contacted customer service about it and the person who replied pointed out to me that yes, I paid for my license but the browser extensions were not covered by the license agreement and, in fact were listed as a potential reason for requiring a paid upgrade to a more up to date version on the old "About Licenses" website.

What I'm trying to say is that although a "functionality" is being phased out, it's not one you ultimately paid for so, as crappy as it is, there is no responsibility on 1Passwords part to keep that functionality....well, functional.

Edit: I found the site, it's on the Internet Archive:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160316044623/https://agilebits.com/store/licenses

Look under "Upgrade Policy" near the bottom of the page.

• coachbb94
    coachbb94
    Community Member

I am a Senior citizen on a fixed income. I have not moved to 1Password 8 because of the subscription model! My biggest concern is what happens if, at renewal time, I don't have the money or, worse yet incapacitated because of illness. My family will need access to my devices, but if my subscription expires, will they lose ALL access to my passwords and other info kept in 1Password?

• @coachbb94

If you're using a 1Password subscription and the subscription lapses then your account will go into a frozen read-only state and you, or someone who has your account password and Secret Key, will still be able to access your passwords and other items: If your 1Password account is frozen

We're currently offering discounts on 1Password memberships to users who have been using our licensed version of 1Password. If you're interested then send in an email to support+tradein@1password.com so that our billing team can offer you a discounted 1Password membership. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.