Non Touch ID fingerprint scanner for Mac

Options
zamboknee
zamboknee
Community Member

I'd like to use the fingerprint scanner function to log in to my 1password on my mac mini but I don't want to spend $200 on an Apple Magic Touch ID keyboard.
Is there another way to do fingerprint login for 1Password, on a mac, without Touch ID?

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac os 12.4
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:Non Touch ID fingerprint scanner for Mac

Comments

• Hello @zamboknee! 👋

1Password for Mac only works with Apple's Touch ID: Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac

Is there a different kind of fingerprint device that you're looking to use with your Mac?

If you have an Apple Watch then you can also unlock 1Password using the watch: Use your Apple Watch to unlock 1Password on your Mac

-Dave

• zamboknee
    zamboknee
    Community Member
    Options

Don't have a device in mind. Just don't want to spend $199 on a keyboard.
    Can you use Apple Watch with 1P WITHOUT a pass code?

• @zamboknee

Unlocking 1Password on your Mac using an Apple Watch relies on macOS's Auto Unlock feature (external link), which requires a passcode on your Apple Watch.

You can have an Apple Watch be unlocked automatically when it's near its paired iPhone: Lock or unlock Apple Watch – Apple Support (external link).

• zamboknee
    zamboknee
    Community Member
    Options

But just to be clear, something like this won't allow me to unlock 1Password, correct?

• @zamboknee

3rd party devices are not supported. Only Apple watch and the built in Touch ID ability are supported. The Macs must have a Secure Enclave. We feel the sensitive nature of storing your passwords and other important information warrants the use of the additional security provided by the Secure Enclave. Given the nature of how unlocking with Touch ID and Apple Watch works, 1Password relies on the Secure Enclave's security characteristics to safely store your secret information in a way that only 1Password can access.

tl;dr The Touch ID keyboard would be needed based on your initial message. This keyboard works with the Secure Enclave.

• zamboknee
    zamboknee
    Community Member
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks for answering everyone

• @zamboknee

I'm happy that we were able to answer your questions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.