Why will 1Password no longer open from Safari on my iPad?

Options
jazzman
jazzman
Community Member

I have been trying to open 1Password on my iPad using the Safari Extension, but all I get is a spinning gear. I restarted the iPad to no avail. Another interesting fact is that, when I first went to my iMac to see what might be going on there, all of my 1Pass data was ok when logging in from the app. When I then went to the Safari Extension on the iMac, all of my 1Pass data was missing. So I restarted the iMac, and everything was restored. 1Pass on my iPhone was ok all along with no problems.

I have not had the time yet to update to 1Password 8. I hope this has nothing to do with it. By the way, is updating to 1Pass 8 fairly easy or not?

The bottom line is I'm dead in the water on my iPad for 1Password, and the iPad has become my go to device for that purpose. Please help.

1Password Version: 7.9.9
Extension Version: 7.9.9
OS Version: iPadOS Version 16.3
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hello @jazzman! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry that 1Password for Safari isn't working on your iPad. It looks like you're using a version of 1Password 7 that's a few updates behind, make sure to update to version 7.10.2: How to manually update apps on your Apple device - Apple Support (CA). This version has a fix for the 1Password for Safari issue that you're running into.

I have not had the time yet to update to 1Password 8. I hope this has nothing to do with it. By the way, is updating to 1Pass 8 fairly easy or not?

I recommend that you update to 1Password 8 since 1Password 7 isn't going to be supported moving forward. You can find our upgrade guide here: Upgrade to 1Password 8 for iOS

I hope that helps! πŸ™‚

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Dave_1P!

Thanks for the help. I updated to 7.10.2, and everything works now. This got my attention. I am now ready to update to 1Password 8. I just want to know if it is an easy update, or will throw me a few curves? Please advise. By the way, I plan to update on my iMac first and then my iPad and iPhone. Do you have to do each separately?

• @jazzman

You'll need to upgrade 1Password on each device separately:

Follow those guides and you should be up and running in no time at all. If you do run into any issues then let us know, we're here to help. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thanks much for your help.

• On behalf of Dave, you're welcome.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

I have finally upgraded to 1Password 8 on all of my devices. So far so good. I do have a couple of questions about my iMac.

The Safari Extension I have for 1Pass is 2.7.0. Is that correct? Also, the way I have the permissions set is to allow the extension to read and alter everything on all websites. Is that correct?

In general, are the default settings the best? Is there any reason to change anything?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

One more question....I just happened to notice that, in my Downloads folder, my Emergency Kit is sitting there wide open. The Secret Key is visible but not the password. Should that be there, or should I delete it? I guess my question is why is something like that in that folder anyway? I mean I'm the only one that uses this iMac, but what if other family members did use it?

• @jazzman

The Safari Extension I have for 1Pass is 2.7.0. Is that correct? Also, the way I have the permissions set is to allow the extension to read and alter everything on all websites. Is that correct?

Both correct, yes.

In general, are the default settings the best?

See how you go with them, and if you find something's not working right for you, let us know what it is and we'll be able to help you adjust the settings.

One more question....I just happened to notice that, in my Downloads folder, my Emergency Kit is sitting there [...] I guess my question is why is something like that in that folder anyway?

When you sign up for 1Password, you have to download your Emergency Kit to be able to continue the setup process. This is so that you can be sure you have a copy.

I'm the only one that uses this iMac, but what if other family members did use it?

Without your account password, it wouldn't work. Your email address, Secret Key, and account password are all needed to be able to sign in to your 1Password account.

I hope that answers your questions fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

β€” Grey

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P

So should I just delete that Emergency Kit from the Downloads Folder or just leave it alone?

• @jazzman

You should store your Emergency Kit in a safe place that only you have access to and where you know it won't be deleted or lost. I personally also recommend that you print a copy of the Emergency Kit and place it into a personal safe or safe deposit box: Download and save your Emergency Kit

I hope that helps. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thanks, Dave!

Please advise. I do have a couple of printed copies of the Emergency Kit in a safe place. That's done.

If I'm using an iMac and have iCloud storage, is it automatically backed up there?

Should I also keep it in my Downloads Folder on the iMac or delete that one? No one else uses this iMac except me.

• @jazzman

I personally use the Downloads folder only as a transient storage space for random things that I've downloaded and I move anything important to other folders. If you're using iCloud Drive then you can move the Emergency Kit into your main iCloud Drive folder and keep it there rather than in your Downloads folder.

If I'm using an iMac and have iCloud storage, is it automatically backed up there?

If you have iCloud Keychain turned on, 1Password will save the equivalent of your Emergency Kit in the Keychain. This version will appear as an account suggestion on your other Macs/iPhones/iPads when you install the 1Password app and you'll only need to enter your account password to finish adding the account to your other devices. You'll need to be using the same Apple ID on all devices and also turn on iCloud Keychain.

For other questions about which folders are syncing to your iCloud storage I recommend reaching out to Apple Support since they'll be in the best position to answer that question. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thanks so much, Dave, for your help. I think I have it covered now.

• @jazzman

Happy to help. 😊

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Hey, Dave! One more question. I saved my Emergency Kit in iCloud, exited out and deleted it from my iMac Documents Folder. That, however, also deleted it from iCloud. I'm missing something here. How do you add it to iCloud and delete it from Documents without one affecting the other? I guess I just don't want it sitting there exposed in a folder on my iMac.

If all else fails, I do have hard copies in a safe place.

I can always log in to 1Pass on one of my devices and get it.

I just want to be able to save it in iCloud and delete it elsewhere on my iMac.

• @jazzman

You should be able to find your iCloud Drive folder in Finder's sidebar:

That being said, iCloud Drive is outside of my expertise and I would recommend that you reach out to Apple Support if you have any other questions about how saving files in iCloud Drive works: Official Apple Support πŸ™‚

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thanks much, Dave.

• It's my pleasure. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.