Autofill stops working in Chrome until restart of Chrome

Hi,

Autofill in Chrome works normally until it doesn't. When this happens, the suggestion box does not show when I click on text inputs, and clicking "Autofill" from the extension itself does nothing either.

It works again after restarting Chrome.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: macOS 11.7.3
Browser:_ Chrome 110.0.5481.177

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @elfenlied, sorry about the filling issues that you're seeing. I have a few questions:

• Does this happen on a specific website or does it happen on any random website?
    • Does this happen after a specific action or condition such as after your computer has been idle for some time?
    • Do you ever get any error messages?
    • Do you have any other extensions installed in Chrome? If so, what are they?
    • Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs on your computer?
    • Do you use a proxy or VPN?

Looking forward to your response!

• elfenlied
    elfenlied
    Community Member

Hi @Joy_1P,

Thanks for your reply.

Does this happen on a specific website or does it happen on any random website?

When it happens, it happens on all websites.

Does this happen after a specific action or condition such as after your computer has been idle for some time?

I couldn't notice a specific action/condition that triggers it.

Do you ever get any error messages?

No.

Do you have any other extensions installed in Chrome? If so, what are they?

• Google Docs Offline
    • Loom
    • NordVPN
    • Return YouTube Dislike
    • uBlock Origin
    • Vue.js devtools

Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs on your computer?

No.

Do you use a proxy or VPN?

NordVPN via the Chrome extension, on and off, but mostly off.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@elfenlied thanks for those details. Can you create a new user profile in Chrome, install only 1Password in it, and then test to see if that makes a difference? If NordVPN is installed outside of Chrome, can you make sure to disable it and then test how things go with that as well? I look forward to hearing from you again.

• elfenlied
    elfenlied
    Community Member

@Joy_1P, done, no problem in the new user profile so far.

Also, no problem in two other profiles (I use four profiles in total, including the new empty one I just created).

I also noticed something: I can fix the problem by disabling/re-enabling 1P's extension.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@elfenlied thanks for testing things out in the new browser profile. It sounds like there may be a conflict with another browser extension, which is causing 1Password to not work properly. Depending on the other browser extension, disabling/re-enabling 1Password may help temporarily.

Could you add the extensions that you have in the original profile with the issue to your new profile? Please add them one by one and test 1Password with each to see which one results in autofill not working. I suspect that the issue is with your NordVPN extension or uBlock Origin.

• bmesnard
    bmesnard
    Community Member

I am having the same issue. I use Chrome within Wavebox.
    Other 1password functions also get broken. Like getting the message 'unable to save item'.
    It happens at least once a day. Chrome restart temporarily resolves these issues.
    For me disabling/re-enabling 1Password does not resolve these issues.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bmesnard, I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you're encountering. The "unable to save item" error indicates that the extension is unable to sync with our servers to save your logins. Could you try the following to re-sync your account and see if that will help?

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Under Accounts & Vaults, sign out of your account.
    4. Sign back into your account.

If you use the 1Password desktop app on your computer, please go back and re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app". If you do not use the 1Password desktop app, then please leave it off.

After that, please test things out by saving a new login. If there are still issues, please let us know the following:

• Do you have 2fa enabled for your 1Password account?
    • Do you use the 1Password desktop app? If so, what version is it?
    • What version of the extension do you have installed?
    • Could you let me know what issues you've run into in regards to autofill?
    • Have you seen any other issues?

I look forward to hearing from you.

• bmesnard
    bmesnard
    Community Member

Just a couple of details.
    Right clicking on the 1Password presents the same panel as left clicking.
    There is no 'Settings' visible on that panel.
    'Settings...' is visible after clicking on the hamburger icon to the right of the search field.
    Clicking Settings displays the Settings panel.

I do not use the 1Password desktop app.

I have disabled the app integration.

I'm not sure this will resolve the recurring issue where 1Password seems to just stop working. Credentials fields when logging in to a website are no longer recognized and the 1Password icon is not displayed. Autofill also stops working.
    The only way I've found to fix this is to restart Wavebox.
    This seems to happen at least once a day with both PCs and Macs.

Thanks!

• slajeune
    slajeune
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

I confirm I have the same issue. The extension was working fine until 2.7.0. This is when issues started. Basically, the extension just stops working. I can see my vault but trying to go into settings doesn't work. Autofill also stops working when in this state. I have to disable and re-enable the extension to solve the issue. This is a temporary fix as the extension will stop working again. The issue used to happen less frequently in 2.7.0. It's worst in 2.8.1. This is using Chrome 110 on a chromebook

• Hey @bmesnard, @slajuene,

I'm sorry for the trouble. I think at this point it would be helpful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong. Could you please send over the followring:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• bmesnard
    bmesnard
    Community Member

Ok! I'll do this the next time the issues occur.
    Thanks.

• jpawlicki
    jpawlicki
    Community Member

Continually broken on Chrome for many weeks, but you're going to respond as if this is a big surprise?

• jpawlicki
    jpawlicki
    Community Member

Your instructions for attaching a console log don't work - file type not allowed.

• jpawlicki
    jpawlicki
    Community Member

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jpawlicki, I'm very sorry that you've encountered an issue with filling in Chrome. Because everyone's setup is different, we have to look at each user's case individually. That means we'll sometimes repeat our questions or comments. That doesn't mean we are not paying attention. It's the opposite -- we ask because we need to know more about the issue on your end in order to help you get to a solution.

I do see that you've attached a screenshot of your logs in this thread. Before we dig into the logs, could you let us know the following:

1. What specific unexpected behavior are you seeing? For example:
    • Do you get an error message when trying to fill?
    • Does the extension never unlock and does it freeze up?
    • Do you have troubles with saving logins or generating passwords?
    • Does the issue happen consistently or intermittently (such as after your computer has been idle for some time)?
    • Does the issue happen on one specific website or all websites?
    1. Do you have the 1Password desktop app installed? If so, what version are you using?

2. What version of Chrome and the extension do you have running?

3. Do you have any other extensions in Chrome?

4. Do you use an antivirus, proxy, or VPN?

Please reach out to us at support+forum@1Password.com with the details above. It would be easier to communicate via email so that we can go over account specific things if they come up. If you send an email, make sure to include a link to this thread as well as your username. After the email is sent, you'll get an automated reply with a Support ID. Please post that here so we can locate your ticket and ensure that it gets a prompt response.

• elfenlied
    elfenlied
    Community Member

Quick update.

I disabled uBlock Origin and did not experience the 1P bug since then.

A few days later I got a new macbook with a fresh install of macOS, on which I replicated my Chrome profile with the same extensions (1Password, Google Docs Offline, Loom, NordVPN, Return YouTube Dislike, uBlock Origin, Vue.js devtools). And I haven't experienced the 1P bug so far on the new macbook (despite having uBlock Origin enabled).

• bmesnard
    bmesnard
    Community Member

Wanted to mention it's been 4 days since the last 1password glitch. Fingers crossed issues are infrequent enough to be a minor annoyance with the 1password beta.

• jpawlicki
    jpawlicki
    Community Member

@Joy_1P: Thanks for the very thorough reply. In my case, which I would assume to be about as generic and common as possible: Windows 11 running latest Chrome (111.0.5563.65) and the latest 1Password app available. None of the myriad complicating factors. e.g. VPN, Proxy, etc., that one may wish to point to. While everyone's setup is different, it seems unlikely that you folks wouldn't already be aware of problems with your app on the lowest-common-denominator client out there. Rather than many independent deep dives into specific client setups looking for variables, perhaps more robust testing is indicated.
    P.S. Your written instructions re: console log being wrong is not a good sign.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2023

@jpawlicki Thanks for your response.

There can be a bunch of different reasons why filling is not working. For one person, it may be a specific website. For a second person, it may be the interference of another extension. For a third person, it could be their browser permissions. One sweeping fix isn't going to resolve everyone's issue, which is why we have to ask questions and look into everyone's setup separately.

To be clear, there are existing filling issues that exhibit the same behavior and that occur with the same setup. However, in your case, we would need more information to see if that would apply. Here are some of the details we asked about but still do not yet have:

What specific unexpected behavior are you seeing? For example:
    -Do you get an error message when trying to fill?
    -Does the extension never unlock and does it freeze up?
    -Do you have troubles with saving logins or generating passwords?
    -Does the issue happen consistently or intermittently (such as after your computer has been idle for some time)?
    -Does the issue happen on one specific website or all websites?

What version of the extension do you have running?

Do you have any other extensions in Chrome?

As for the extension console log, I do see that we asked for it to be sent to us at support+forum@1password.com via email. We don't mind for it to be posted in the forum. However, we still need the details above to determine where things are going wrong. If there's anything specific that you had trouble with in regards to collecting the logs, please let us know.

• bmesnard
    bmesnard
    Community Member

Issues recurred today.
    Console log sent.

• sl7123
    sl7123
    Community Member

I am having similar issues as mentioned in this thread:

• I use the 1password extension in Chrome (I believe it is up-to-date the version i Have is 2.8.1)
    • I do not have the 1pass desktop application
    • Every time I try to save a login within the browser I get "unable to save item"
    • Even after I enter it manually, it does not show up in the extension (I have to do the whole sign in and out of my account in order for it to show up)
    • I tried to do the steps you said about disabling the integrate with app feature. It still doesn't work.
    • I was not able to find if I have 2fa enabled on it.

Another issue I often have is that I try to select “use suggested password” and it never fills it in. I end up having to create my own password.

• user023875823
    user023875823
    Community Member

I am having similar issues. One thing I noticed today is that when I close the browser and open fresh, the 1password extension works great. When I open the developer tools in chrome, my 1password immediately stops working.

To test this further, I created a new profile, and added the 1password extension, and everything worked great. Then when I open the developer tools, and go to the "Application" tab, and click "Service Workers" and then check the "Update on reload" button, everything stops working for me. Doesn't matter if I uncheck the box, or close developer tools, I just get a blank box with a spinning circle in the middle when I click the extension. Closing the browser fixes the problem, until the developer tools are opened again with "Update on reload" checked.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sl7123, could you right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, select Settings, and let us know the following:

• Do you still have the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting disabled?
    • Do you have "Automatically lock 1Password" off under Security?

Additionally, please collect your extension console logs for us next time the issue appears: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/

Attach the logs to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @user023875823, the issue that you're experiencing is a bit different, as it is specific to the "Update on reload" setting in Chrome DevTools. This is a known issue, and I've added your post here to the internal ticket that we have opened for it. Hopefully, there will be a fix for this issue in the future.

For now, I recommend turning off the "Update on reload" setting, quitting Chrome completely, and relaunching Chrome. After you do that, you'll be able to use the extension while Chrome DevTools is open.

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

ref: dev/core/core#20237

• sl7123
    sl7123
    Community Member

Hi @Joy_1P,

I still have the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting disabled and I have "Automatically lock 1Password" off under Security.
    I did as you asked and sent the console to the support email. The support ID I received in return is: [#YMD-45651-933].

Thanks!

• Thanks @sl7123, I see our team are helping you over email.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.