BUG: 'Scan QR Code' adds additional 'Security' sections in record

Options
jstalker
jstalker
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi there,
Loving the 1password experience! (as I ditch that other, hot-mess of a password manager)

As I've been replacing Google Authenticator with 1password one-time passcodes, I noticed that if I already have a 'Security' section in the affecting record and I 'Scan QR Code' to get a new OTP field added, another 'Security' section gets created with no info in it. It happens each time I 'Scan QR Code' on the same record.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: MacOS 12.6.3
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

@jstalker

If a TOTP entry is present then another section would be added when trying to scan another code. Only one code (field) is included below the password, the first one added. You'll likely want to remove that field assuming you no longer need it. Typically, most places only allow a single code. Additional codes would appear below that section.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

If you wish to keep both create a new section and then once you have added your details (name) you would add a TOTP field.

• You can also add a section now and then use field reordering to place the new TOTP in the section.
  • jstalker
    jstalker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. Let's try again.
    1) Add an OTP via the 'Scan QR Code' function provided by the Firefox extension
    2) Edit the record and note that there is a 'Security' section that's been added and is empty and thus hidden from the main view.
    3) Delete (or not) the OTP
    4) Save
    5) Repeat step 1)
    2) Edit the record and note that there is a 2nd 'Security' section that's been added and is empty.

• @jstalker

Thanks for the additional input. I'll move this question to the 1Password in the browser section. No issue mind you, but the sections used can substantially determine how the question is answered. This is increasingly common here with folks moving from other managers so no worries. All good. We're glad to have you with us.

The section is titled security as a means to help identify the type of activity. I can see what you're describing when using the browser. The same behavior is also present in other browsers. I'll ask the team if this is intended behavior. My gut feeling is yes (intended behavior), for better separation. Folks sometimes need additional (multiple) TOTPs. By keeping them in different sections it may help better define their use. But I'm ok to be wrong on that too.

• jstalker
    jstalker
    Community Member
    Options

On my machine nothing is put in the created 'Security' section by default. The TOPT field that is created by the 'Scan QR Code' gesture does not end up in that section. It is created and located right underneath the username & password fields.

I'd be totally fine if the TOPT field ended up in the created 'Security' field. That would make sense.
    What doesn't make sense is that it is empty and, in it's current form, doesn't make sense that the 'Scan QR Code' gesture doesn't check that there is a 'Security' section already.

It's a minor issue to be sure, but there is a minor bit of data bloat as a result and I'm all for cleanliness in my records :D

• Thanks for that @jstalker

I'll get something filed with the team and see if there is anything we can do here. 100% agreed on that cleanliness portion.

This discussion has been closed.