How likely is it that my organization can see into my 1password?

Options
hnucamendi
hnucamendi
Community Member

I have the 1password family plan, wondering how likely it is for my organization to be able to look into my account if I was to install the browser extension / or the desktop application on my work computer?

I dont do any personal things on my work computer. I just want the cool 1password CLI access, feel like it would be useful as a developer

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: Ventura 13.2.1
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    Options

I would personally suggest you don't install anything for personal use like 1Password families on your work computer, keep those things separate. As your work computer, could have monitoring software of any sort, that can record what you do on it, which could put your personal data in 1Password Families, as a risk, if you don't trust your workplace.

• @hnucamendi

I second what Kakkoister2 said, work devices can have all sorts of device management software installed to monitor your activities while working. Since your workplace owns the device, and presumably has administrator access, they could have installed software that records your screen, logs your keystrokes, or otherwise keeps tabs on what is open and accessed on the device.

In general, I only recommend using 1Password on a device that you trust. You can read more about the security of 1Password in the browser here: About the security of 1Password in your browser

I dont do any personal things on my work computer. I just want the cool 1password CLI access, feel like it would be useful as a developer

We offer varied and flexible plans for businesses. I'd encourage you to ask your employer to reach out to our business team at business@1password.com to discuss this in more detail. 🙂

-Dave

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member
    Options

@hnucamendi

You could do what I have done with my work device.

I have set up a guest account which the family plan allows you to do so. This basically gives a guest account you create read only access to a vault.

I have set up a separate work vault with items I want use at work. These are those that are not particularly sensitive in anyway but it's more helpful to me than opening my phone each time.

This set up allows me to enjoy the 1Password apps and security, and also not compromise any of my more sensitive information which is entirely separate just in case my company are doing something that we're unaware of. They have told me they are not, but obviously it's not a device I fully control, so this keeps my mind at ease :)

• hnucamendi
    hnucamendi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I think im gonna play it on the safe side and keep my 1password family plan away from my work computer. @Dave_1P Hopefully, my employer does reach out!

• I'm happy that the community was able to provide some useful suggestions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.