Windows Hello prompt fails to open if another Windows Security popup is already opened

Options
Guidome
Guidome
Community Member

My usecase is when I am connecting to a remote machine with RDP.

Since the introduction of Windows Defender Credential Guard, every time I try to connect to a remote machine, I get prompt for the username password from a Windows Security popup. Then when trying to unlock my 1password to access the secret, it fails to open its own Windows Security popup to ask for my pin. Then 1password default back to my account password instead of Windows Hello.

It does not to seem a Windows Security popup limitation as I can do it the other way around: start unlocking 1password and keep the Windows Hello Windows Security popup to wait then starts the RDP session which is able to open its own Windows Security popup.

Here is the situation where 1password fails to open the Windows Hello prompt:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Guidome,

Thanks for your message and reporting this behaviour.

I'm sorry for the troubles you've experienced. I've done some testing and was unable to replicate this behaviour. When attempting this through RDP with the Windows Security prompt open as depicted first, clicking the Windows Hello button in 1Password 8 opens this prompt and unlocks as expected.

I'd like to ask you to recreate this behaviour note the date and time and send a diagnostics report from your Windows PC, so we can look into this with the wider team:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/138457/windows-hello-prompt-fails-to-open-if-another-windows-security-popup-is-already-opened
    • Your forum username: Guidome

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks!

• Guidome
    Guidome
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d I sent the logs and received number #AXT-67222-428
    I captured this at 10h16 UTC-5 (New-York time).

Also please note that I am not trying to unlock 1password on a remote machine through RDP, but instead my local 1password at same time as I am prompt for the RDP session password.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @Guidome, thanks for letting us know! We've received your email, and a member of the team will be in touch with you there shortly.

ref: AXT-67222-428

This discussion has been closed.