Just starting with 1PASSWORD App download error message

astandre
astandre
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Windows

I am just starting with 1Password and failed when trying to download the app to my desktop which was part of the initial instruction after i signed in.. I am running Windows 10 64bit on my HP laptop. I downloaded the exe file. When I tried to execute it I got this message.

which says
Failed to int logger:Failedtostartlogger(outputlo(OS { code 5,kind:permission denied, message "Access denied."}))

Please advise
Thanks

1Password Version: trying to initiate
Extension Version: not loaded yet
OS Version: windows 10 64 bit
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• I'd suggest giving the device a restart and if you have an antivirus app in place you might want to temporarily disable it.

• astandre
    astandre
    Community Member

I cleared my browser cache, cookies etc., turned off virus protection, rebooted and redownloaded the exe file that should load the app onto my laptop. It did not work. I got the same error message.
    Do you have other ideas?
    thx

• Hello @astandre,

Thanks for your reply and letting us know that disabling antivirus and rebooting your device did not help.

Next, could you try restarting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled and then try installing 1Password again to see if this helps with this behaviour?

Looking forward to your reply.

• astandre
    astandre
    Community Member

I went through all of the steps to get to safe mode with networking. But I got to safe mode however there was no networking. It said safe mode with networking was option 5 and I could use the number 5 or Function 5. I tried both more than once but it never loaded with networking. I tried to find my network thru control panel but there were no networks available.

Now what?
    thanks

• Hello again @astandre,

Sorry for the troubles you've experienced with safe mode. If you haven't already, could you follow this link to download the latest version of 1Password 8 for Windows, then attempt those previous steps and try safe mode again (without networking).

Find the .exe you downloaded, attempt to install it and let us know if the installation of 1Password 8 completes without error? If so, reboot your device in normal mode, open the 1Password app and follow the prompts to sign into your account.

Looking forward to your reply.

• astandre
    astandre
    Community Member

Mike,

I downloaded the exe from your note. Booted in safe mode without networking. Navigated to the downloaded Exe. It would not download as I got a message that it needed the internet. Getting quite frustrated but glad for your continued help
    Arthur

• Hi @astandre,

I'm sorry for any frustration this experience has caused you. I'd like to take a step back. The image of the error in your original message is typically related to antivirus software locking down the folder where 1Password is to be installed.

You previously mentioned:

turned off virus protection, rebooted and redownloaded the exe file that should load the app onto my laptop. It did not work. I got the same error message.

It is important to reboot your device after disabling antivirus software. As an alternative measure, would it be possible to temporarily uninstall any antivirus and antimalware you are using, reboot your device again before attempting the reinstall of 1Password 8?

If you continue to have problems, and since you've been unable to complete the installation, we'd like to take a look at some logs from 1Password 8:

1. In the Windows search bar copy and paste the following and press enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs\
    2. Select everything in this folder, and then right-click and choose Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.
    3. Then, attach that zip file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/138304/just-starting-with-1password-app-download-error-message
    • Your forum username: astandre

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks!

• astandre
    astandre
    Community Member

I put %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs\ into the search bar and got No results found. We'll be home later this week and then I can hook my computer directly to my router and not need wiFi which i think you suggested i try

• Thanks for your reply, @astandre.

A wired connection directly to your router and trying to restart Windows in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled before attempting to reinstall again is a great next step. This ensures other software that maybe causing a problem is disabled during the install attempt.

Please keep us up-to-date and if safe mode helps. Have a great weekend!

• astandre
    astandre
    Community Member

I am home now but do not have an ethernet to laptop connector. One is ordered and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I got a note that my free period on 1 Password is about to end. Can you extend it since I have not started using it because of this technical hurdle?

arthur

• Hello again @astandre,

Please excuse the delay. I can't make any promises, but if you could you please write to support at support+forum@1password.com, a team member would be happy to review this case.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/679286/#Comment_679286
    • Your forum username: astandre

When you receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant please post that number here, so we can make sure your request goes to the correct team. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.