2FA Recovery Codes

Options
notnotjake
notnotjake
Community Member

Would be great if 1P had better support for recovery codes.
Perhaps a discrete field type that you can paste the codes from clipboard into and label them as recovery codes. Also maybe deemphasize them when viewing the item since they're normally not important.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Safari, Arc

Comments

• notnotjake
    notnotjake
    Community Member
    Options

I just added recovery codes into an item and added them as a 'text' field option. After adding them, I thought, "that probably should have been a 'password' field type". But to change the field to password type, I'd have to: copy value, create new field with the correct type, paste value into new field, and delete the old field.
    Seems like a dropdown to change the field type to something else, would be great. Some field types aren't compatible, but I think there is still a lot of practicality that could be gained and the field mutation should be possible.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
    Browser:_ Safari, Arc

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello @notnotjake! 👋

Thank you for the suggestions! I've merged your threads together so that I could send you one reply.

Would be great if 1P had better support for recovery codes.
    Perhaps a discrete field type that you can paste the codes from clipboard into and label them as recovery codes. Also maybe deemphasize them when viewing the item since they're normally not important.

Better support for storing 2FA recovery codes sounds like a good idea to me and, while I can't make any promises, I've forwarded your feedback to our product team. I know that a lot of people currently store recovery codes in a text field.

Seems like a dropdown to change the field type to something else, would be great. Some field types aren't compatible, but I think there is still a lot of practicality that could be gained and the field mutation should be possible.

We've received requests to add the ability to change field types in the past and I've let the product team know that you'd like to see this as well. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-31537265
    ref: PB-31537318

This discussion has been closed.