Feedback on v8 iOS Apps

Scott2
Scott2
Community Member
edited February 2023 in iOS

After holding out on moving to your v8 iOS apps, at first because I've been so disappointed by the changes v8 brought to your desktop apps, then because Face ID didn't work for so long, I finally took the jump with both the iPhone and iPad apps and . . . I like them quite a bit.

The apps are fast, they (generally) look nice, and they're logically organized. They're an improvement upon v7 and I'd call these 4 out of 5 stars as they stand currently, with the iPhone app very near 5 stars.

There are a few things I dislike that seem to have carried over from Desktop, all design related:

First, I'm annoyed by the Watchtower screens on both devices - I don't like how big the gauge is on iPhone (on iPad mini it's not so bad), I don't need or want to see the counting animation (ever), and I promise you I will never share my score. Both of these things are waste of my time and screen real estate.

Second, there's way too much white space in the left hand column in the iPad app, and it's especially notable when results are presented at a more acceptable density in the middle column. It feels like you don't trust me to deal with information density with the result that I'm forced to scroll instead (for context, I have the "Compact" setting enabled on the desktop app and it's scaled to 90%, and the lefthand column is still not dense enough for my taste).

Third, there's no meaningful background color difference between screen sections on the iPad app to make them distinct. The All Items page is a great example of this - there's a very slight grey tint to the left column and middle column header, and nothing between the middle and right. Your desktop apps do a better job of the left / middle visual separation (although I have the same complaint about the lack of middle / right visual separation).

Comments

• Hello @Scott2! 👋

I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying 1Password 8 for iOS. I'll respond below:

First, I'm annoyed by the Watchtower screens on both devices - I don't like how big the gauge is on iPhone (on iPad mini it's not so bad), I don't need or want to see the counting animation (ever), and I promise you I will never share my score. Both of these things are waste of my time and screen real estate.

I can definitely see how a smaller score would take up less space and I've forwarded your request to be able to modify the score's size and animation to our product team.

Second, there's way too much white space in the left hand column in the iPad app, and it's especially notable when results are presented at a more acceptable density in the middle column. It feels like you don't trust me to deal with information density with the result that I'm forced to scroll instead (for context, I have the "Compact" setting enabled on the desktop app and it's scaled to 90%, and the lefthand column is still not dense enough for my taste).

I'm a fan of compact density on the desktop as well and would personally also like to see it on the iPad. I've shared your request with the product team for a higher density appearance option for 1Password 8 for iOS.

Third, there's no meaningful background color difference between screen sections on the iPad app to make them distinct. The All Items page is a great example of this - there's a very slight grey tint to the left column and middle column header, and nothing between the middle and right. Your desktop apps do a better job of the left / middle visual separation (although I have the same complaint about the lack of middle / right visual separation).

I've passed along your suggestion for more obvious shading differences between columns and sections to the product and design team as well.

Thank you for the feedback, it helps us make 1Password even better. 😊

-Dave

ref: PB-31533987
    ref: PB-31534283
    ref: PB-31536090

• Scott2
    Scott2
    Community Member

Thank you, much appreciated!!

• Thank you again for the suggestions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.